Chapter 2: The Aftermath

In the aftermath of the chaos, the combined forces of the Capitol and the King's guards worked diligently to clean the city grounds. The scorched remains left behind by the Pantianac attack were a grim reminder of the battle that had taken place.

Among the guards, murmurs began to spread. "I never knew Sirius had a son," one of them remarked. "The King has commanded to take the boy to the palace."

With Elysian, who had not stopped crying, in their care, the guards followed the King's orders and brought him to the palace.

King Thorian, his heart heavy with sorrow, looked upon his young cousin and tried to console him. "Child, I am sorry for your loss," he spoke softly. Elysian, overwhelmed by grief and exhaustion, stopped crying momentarily before passing out in the King's presence.

With a deep sense of responsibility, the King cradled the unconscious boy in his arms. He solemnly decided to bring Elysian to his chamber, seeking comfort and refuge for the young prince during his profound grief and loss.

Elysian awoke from a fitful sleep as the morning sun cast its gentle light upon the palace. Weariness weighed heavily on his young shoulders, and he desperately hoped that the previous day's events were nothing more than a terrible dream. However, the pain in his heart and the memories that haunted his mind served as a cruel reminder of the harsh reality.

The comforting scents of flowers and freshly baked bread, so common in the palace, offered little solace for his anguish. Despite his tender age, Elysian understood that he had witnessed the loss of his beloved guardian, Sirius, and it was a pain that could not be easily dispelled.

Soon, a young maid entered his room, her demeanor respectful but with a hint of formality that felt strange to Elysian, who had never grown up in the palace. She addressed him as "young master," a title that felt foreign to him but one he accepted with a heavy heart. With a nod, he followed the maid, who guided him through the palace's grand corridors, leading him to the King's great banquet hall.

Seated at the grand banquet table, Elysian observed his surroundings silently, his young heart heavy with grief and uncertainty. King Thorian, a figure of authority and regal presence, addressed the boy with warmth and concern. "At last, you have awakened!" greeted the King. "How are you, young one?" he inquired, his eyes filled with a gentle compassion that belied the weight of his sorrow.

The King offered freshly baked bread, a simple gesture of hospitality and comfort. "Would you like to take a bite?" he offered kindly. "Oh, where are my manners? My name is King Thorian, the King of Elder Tree Haven."

Elysian's response was measured, his grief palpable. He remained silent, his gaze fixed on the bread before him.

"I am sorry for your loss," the King acknowledged, recognizing that no words could truly console the boy in this moment of profound sorrow.

Elysian finally found his voice, his eyes welling with tears as he asked the question that had haunted him. "Father, is he gone?" His voice trembled with sadness and longing.

The King rose from his seat and moved to console the young boy, his powerful presence softened by a deep sense of empathy. "You know, death is a reality. It cannot be avoided but has to be faced with truth," he spoke gently. "I am sorry for your loss, child." With great tenderness, the King embraced his little cousin tightly, offering what comfort he could in this time of immense sorrow.

"I cannot do anything to bring comfort but rest assured, tomorrow, I will bring you home to your mother," the King promised gently, his words filled with sincerity and reassurance.

Concerned for Lyria, he inquired, "Your mother, Lyria, how is she? Is she fine?" The mention of his mother's name momentarily diverted Elysian's thoughts from his grief. "You know my parents?" he asked the King with a tone of curiosity.