Chapter 12: Unexpected Encounter

The trio was once again reunited. El, Raven, and Thailos scouted the affected areas where the intense Pantianac attack had occurred, hoping to encounter Serpentine. Jaku and Kentor joined the trio as well, as King Thorian had only agreed to allow El on the mission if his bodyguards accompanied him.

"Your highness, there is an enemy camp near the river. I think it would be best if we silently scout it," Jaku reported. Thailos couldn't help but interject, "Wait, hold up, why are you calling him 'your highness'?" He was clearly confused about what was happening.

"Oh, Prince El is King Thorian's cousin, and also the rightful heir of Biringan," Kentor explained matter-of-factly. This revelation left Thai, Raven, and even El himself in disbelief.

"What?!" Thai reacted with shock. "You mean this guy is the prince? Hey Raven, you're a princess too, and I just didn't know?" Raven was equally baffled by the revelation.

"Guys, this is really a bad place and time to explain what happened. But the King and I are cousins," El explained, trying to keep things concise. "Kentor, Jaku, you don't have to be formal with me. Call me El." He added, wanting to dispense with the royal formalities in the midst of their mission. "Yes sir-er I mean El." Jaku replied. 

The scouts cautiously approached the river, and through their magic incantations, Raven could sense a powerful energy emanating from the camp. "I think it's not safe to attack head-on," Raven suggested, her intuition warning her.

"Serpentine is close," El confirmed, his determination evident. "Let's bide our time, see if we can catch Serpentine alone and unprepared." El's plan was to isolate their target and strike at the right moment.

The group waited patiently until nightfall to execute their attack plan. It appeared that Serpentine was indeed at the camp, judging by the chaos and screams that echoed from within. Raven found comfort in holding El's hand, and he reciprocated the gesture, both seeking solace in each other's presence.

"It's time," Kentor signaled, and the group silently approached the camp, their stealthy movements concealing their presence.

Thai threw a spear with precision, striking down a Pantianac who had been observing the outpost. El swiftly dispatched three Kapre without making a sound.

As the group moved closer to the tent, Raven's intuition grew stronger, and she felt a sense of urgency. "Hold up!" she signaled, a feeling of impending danger washing over her. "I think this is a trap."

But Jaku, eager to proceed, disagreed. "No, we press on," he insisted.

Just as he was about to open the tent, an explosion erupted, violently separating the group. Jaku found himself inside the tent, while El and Raven were together. Thai and Kentor were left to fend off the enemy on their own.

"I knew it!" Raven exclaimed as she helped El fend off the alerted enemy. The situation was becoming increasingly dire. "I think we can't hold on much longer, El!" Jaku shouted, struggling to maintain their ground.

Suddenly, El's eyes began to shine with a brilliant light, and a surge of power overcame him. With a burst of energy, he unleashed a stunning force that incapacitated all the enemies in the camp. It was a remarkable display of power, but it left El drained and collapsed on the ground.

"What was that?" Thai asked in astonishment, while El lay unconscious. Kentor, assessing the situation, made a quick decision. "Take the Prince, we have to retreat!" he urged, and the group promptly left the camp behind.

They retreated to a safer location, setting up camp a considerable distance from the river. El remained unconscious due to the immense exertion brought on by the power of the Malakas Blade. Raven watched over him, her concern evident as she stroked his hair, checking on him every minute to ensure he was alright.