Chapter 9: Unexpected Unity

Thailos's voice echoed through the cave, commanding the attention of all the students who had sought refuge within. His words carried a sense of authority and reassurance, helping to calm the anxious hearts of those gathered.

"Father instructed me that we should all wait up here tomorrow and slowly go towards the Enchanted Tree," Thailos continued, his confidence unwavering. "I am pretty sure that the King has vacated the Capitol, and your families are safe."

His words were met with a collective sigh of relief, the tension in the cave lessening with the prospect of their loved ones being out of harm's way. Thailos had taken on a leadership role, and the students sought guidance in these uncertain times.

"We need to stick together and support each other," Thailos emphasized, his gaze sweeping across the faces of his fellow students. "We may be from different teams, but right now, we're all in this together. We'll make it through this."

The suggestion to put someone in charge sparked a debate among the students, each with their concerns and opinions.

"Who made you in charge?" Geralt challenged Thai, his skepticism is evident in his tone.

Thai quickly clarified, "Uhm, no one and I am not trying to be in charge. I'm just trying to offer a plan."

Lucian, however, had a different idea. "Bah! We should all vote for this!" he proposed, seemingly open to a more democratic approach. But then, his distrust of specific teams became apparent. "I don't think I can trust your team!" he added, giving El, a pointed glare.

Amidst the growing tension, Thailos made an effort to defuse the situation and find a solution that everyone could agree on.

"Come on, man! Now isn't the time to compete," Thailos urged, addressing Geralt. "If you want a leader? Fine, I choose Mychal; he is the student president."

Mychal, despite his injuries, rose to his feet and attempted to ease the tension in the group. "Actually, I agree with Thailos," he said. "Sir Ganahad gave him instructions, so I would follow them."

But not everyone was on board with this idea. Geralt, still eager to assert himself, proposed a different solution. "Nope! I suggest we settle this with a duel!" he added, seemingly determined to resolve the issue through violence.

Tabitha, however, questioned this approach. "Violence won't solve anything," she interjected. "We're all in distress, and fighting among ourselves won't help. Let's think rationally and make a decision together."

As the debate continued, Skylar, the leader of the Duwende group, offered his perspective. "I think Thailos should lead us," he stated. "His team really helped us get to here, so I think he knows what he's doing."

Skylar's endorsement of Thailos garnered some support from the group, but it was clear that Geralt and Lucian were not pleased with the idea. Their animosity toward Thailos's team was apparent, and they seemed frustrated by the discussion's direction.

To find a compromise and appease Lucian and Geralt, Thailos proposed a new plan. "I think this would be much better," he began. "We should separate this group into two teams. I would propose that Lucian can lead one group, and the others can form another. This way, we can provide support and backup if the Pantianac ambushes one group. This would also help minimize the risk and damage. If one team is outnumbered, the other team can retreat to the Enchanted Tree. Would that be acceptable to you, Your Highness?" Thailos added a touch of mockery to his words.

"Fair enough," Lucian agreed, realizing the practicality of the proposal. The group seemed to be coming to a consensus, and a plan began taking shape.

As the teams divided themselves into two, with Tabitha joining Thailos and Raven choosing to team up with Lucian, it was evident that tensions and dynamics within the group were complex. El, however, decided to remain alone to assist the teachers and support both teams from a distance, a wise decision given the circumstances.