Chapter 10

I stand beside the horse to get on. Noah is standing with his horse, with the most complicated expression. I notice the slight furrow on Noah's brow as he carefully adjusts his stirrups.

When he notices me, without wasting a minute, he asks, "How?" as if he were demanding an explanation. Then he sighs. "You don't have to tell me, Lady Evory. Forgive my rudeness."

"I don't know myself, how I'm capable of these." I say.

He gives me an uncertain look.

"I hope you keep it secret." I nervously laugh. "If words spread, others might get the wrong idea. I want you to protect the kingdom and its secrets," I say while looking down at my horse.

He nods, understanding the weight of my words. "I'll make sure everyone who witnessed it will never speak a word about it. I am sworn to protect the kingdom and its secrets above all else. If anything happens, I'll gladly take the responsibility." He says he is putting his hand on his left chest while looking down." I feel a sense of relief wash over me, knowing that I can trust him in this delicate matter.

I give him a friendly smile and get on my horse. I'm exhausted. I want to run away from everything.

About Lucas, I can't make Lilian speak about it. She needs time to rest and recover from the trauma. I can't force her into it. I have to handle it myself.

My mind races with thoughts of how to tell my mother about the incident between me and Lucas. It might affect our family if he spreads rumours about me. I need to tell my mother about it before anyone else, but would she believe me? I must gather much evidence and devise a plan before meeting her.

They returned to the palace with Lilian by night. Everyone rushed to Lilian and expressed their worries. healing was a common trait of a water element. As the only water element, it took me time to heal all of them. I made sure to check in on each of the hostages individually, ensuring their well-being and offering any necessary support. they sent all the other hostages back to their homes after treating them. It was a long and tiring process. So I had to return to the palace later.

I took a bath and wore my nighttime outfit. The warm water helped relax my tired muscles, washing away the stress of the day.

Lilian is sleeping with her dear mother tonight, so I didn't bother to meet her.

A few more days passed, and soon the chaos of the palace began to subside. As the situation improved, Empress focused on implementing stricter security measures to prevent such incidents from happening again in the future. Noah kept his promise, and no rumours about my abilities sneaked out, not even in the palace. I should say they are good at their loyalty.

With the absence of rumours, I was able to continue my studies of magic without any distractions.

However, I couldn't shake off the feeling of unease whenever I thought about meeting Edgar. The words he spoke still lingered in my mind, making me question his true intentions, if it's a trap or what.

He did say, Take what's yours. What's mine? I did check myself properly, but nothing from me was taken. but the lingering doubt remained, leaving me uncertain.

I had a feeling that he was not the gang leader. the way he looked around the cage and glanced at my sister that day made me suspicious. The portals he made were also different from the ones under the hostages. When I broke Lillian and other captive's portals, I sensed a strange bit of poison in them, which is a dark element's trait. Edgar was definitely not the one, but I wasn't sure. He could still be one of the rebels.

However, there was something about the way he said those words that made me believe there might be something I must know. Or maybe he wants another battle? but I didn't have fun fighting with him. It just ended way too early.