Chapter 12

He insisted on paying after a heavy night of drinking, but I paid. I had to protect my pride. I was relieved to have brought cash.

His liquor hold was excellent. He did not appear drunk at all. Despite drinking a lot, he maintained his composure and did not exhibit any signs of intoxication, demonstrating his impressive ability to hold his liquor. It made me question whether I had underestimated his tolerance for alcohol.

I came out of the inn and started to head towards the palace. Then I recalled that he had told me to take what was rightfully mine. He didn't give anything. I paused for a moment, feeling a mix of disappointment and frustration. It seemed like his promise to give me something in return was just empty words.

I mentally slapped myself. He said that, so I would go meet him; otherwise, he knew why I would spend my time with him. As I continued walking, I couldn't help but wonder if I had been too naive to believe his empty promises. I sould've seen it coming.

As I keep walking, I feel my body stiffen. The streets weren't crowded, and my body felt suffocating until it started moving by itself. I try to control my body, but it keeps walking on its own. I proceeded in the direction of a shadowy, unknown alley. My heart raced with fear as I realized that I had lost control over my own movements. Panic set in as I desperately tried to resist, but it was as if an invisible force was pulling me towards the dark alley.

I remember reading it once. It's possession-control magic. The caster controls your body or mind according to their wishes. It has a very long chant to break free, which I don't remember. Since when did I use chant?

All I have to do is feel the pressure on my body, my heartbeat, my presence, and how I felt when my body was under my control.

As I keep walking in the dark alley. I notice a man in the hood, his face obscured by shadows. He stands still, his presence exuding an eerie aura. I can sense the power emanating from him.

Wait..

Wait..

I need to try to escape the situation soon. As I focused on these sensations, feelings of my own power and strength came flooding back, enhancing my determination to regain control. I break off the magic before approaching him. There was still a few feet of space between us.

I move and step back to run. As I turn around and take a few steps my body feels pressed against something from behind. I look behind; there's nothing, but I can't go as if there's an invisible wall. No matter how hard I push or struggle, the invisible barrier remains unyielding.

"How interesting, someone broke off the spell without chanting." A dark, velvety voice speaks from behind, sending a shiver down my body. I hear footsteps coming from behind. I turn around slowly, my heart pounding in my chest. Standing there is a tall figure cloaked in shadows, their piercing eyes glinting with a mix of curiosity and amusement.

I remember Edgar saying very clearly that very few can escape the chanting ability.

Hold on, is this how I'm going to die?

I notice the stone of my ring, which was black, is now purple. Sometimes, when someone casts an unpreventable magic spell against me, it changes its color according to that element. As if Edgar casted any unpreventable magic against me, the stone would glow pink. It helps to find out who is trying to harm me. But as it is glowing purple, there is no way.

Every element has a color of its own. Red is fire, blue is water, light aegean is Ice which is quite similar to Water element. Otherwise, yellow is spirit, white is light, grey is wind, brown is force, silver is moon, olive green is fairy, teal is time, pink is thunder, and purple is none other than dark.