Chapter 11

He had been eating without paying attention to me. he even ordered more food as if he were having dinner. I tap my foot impatiently, growing more frustrated by his nonchalant behaviour. "Are you going to answer my question or just continue stuffing your face?" I demanded, my voice tinged with annoyance. He swallows his bite of cake and smirks mischievously.

I lean back in my chair, crossing my arms. "Alright, spill it. Who do you think is responsible?" I demand, trying to hide my growing frustration.

"It's..." he pauses and raises an eyebrow. I raise one of my eyebrows subconsciously. I lean forward, waiting for him to continue. "Well?" I say that my impatience is evident in my tone.

He laughs again. "I could kill you now," I say, getting agitated. I try to keep my voice light, but there's a hint of a threat in my words. He raises his hands in mock surrender, still grinning mischievously. At last, he says, "Alright, alright." "I have a suspicion, but it's just a hunch. Don't take it too seriously."

"What is it?" I ask, my voice filled with anticipation as I lean in closer, eager to hear his suspicion.

"It's just that... It's someone you never would have suspected." My heart races as I consider the possibilities, my frustration momentarily forgotten. I raise an eyebrow as I'm questioning, 'Who is it?' He chuckles, enjoying the suspense he's created. "Guess," he says. I furrow my brow and lift my hand. Water flows into my palm in an instant, forming a dagger that transforms into ice. seeing it, he becomes impressed. I hold the ice dagger up to his throat, my eyes narrowing as I demand, "Tell me now, or things will get icy." His laughter fades into a nervous chuckle.

"It's a water element. The portals that person casted were an ancient magic. Every portal contains a symbol representing the caster's element. When I saw the portals, I noticed The portals displayed a water element symbol, which is associated with the powerful water element. You clearly did not notice that, did you?" he says..

Wait, if it is true, will they really believe that I put on this complicated show solely for attention? I'm a water element too. Nonetheless, Evory was hated, no matter what she did.

I sit back as the daggers dissolve into water again before disappearing. But if I did not do it,why should I be afraid? I cast a quick glance over the crowd. My voice is filled with both fear and anxiety. "Yet it contained a hint of venom," I comment. "You are not familiar with the workings of ancient magic, are you?" he queries. I sulk and turn my head away.

Although I am well-read and have a lot of knowledge, I am still learning and have a lot of things to learn.

"Give me your hand," he says. I give him a suspicious look. "What are you planning?" I ask, my voice laced with caution. Despite my hesitation, I extended my hand towards him, unsure of his intention. he points his index finger at the ring of my hand. "See, it's black?" I look at it confused. The ring slipped my mind. I hardly ever gave it much thought.

Now that he pointed out the black ring on my hand, I couldn't help but wonder when it turned black.

"It was the magic of creating portals that provided protection. The magic used to create protective portals is poisonous and requires mana to be absorbed at the caster's will. If the spell is broken by someone, the poison will kill the spell breaker within a few days. But before that it will make them weak until they die." he says.

My gaze lingers on the ring. He continues," Seeing that you're alive, you've broken the magic spell safely. However, the black colour indicates that it has absorbed the poison, preventing it from causing harm to you."

"See the snakes beside the stone?" he points at the stone and then continues, "Currently, these are breaking the spell and absorbing the mana from the poison; when the process is completed, it will pass the manas into your body." I listen to him intently, my curiosity piqued by his explanation.