Family

>>Nico

"Is it true?" Romano stomped his way towards me and I began to step back when Asher held me, not letting me move.

"Stay," He said confidently and moved us a little so that I was under his protection while he faced Romano.

I looked up at him while his facial expressions turned firmer.

Right...

He knows about my family... He did his research and I confirmed his theories.

"What is going on here?" Asher's father stepped ahead.

"Nico's family is abusive," Asher replied and that's all he had to say.

"Ah~" The other three nodded and formed a circle around me.

"Nico," Romano came and stood in front of us, "What have you done?"

I stared back at him, "..." I've always been scared of him, so I couldn't really bring myself to say it. I've always been afraid of all of my family because every time I spoke up, it ended with me getting beaten.

"Did you really get marked!?!?" He raised his voice, "And tell this jerk," He glanced at Asher, "That you're an omega??!" I didn't meet his gaze and he raised his voice even more, "NICO!!!" He tried to grab me, going specifically for my neck to see it for himself but Asher moved me back and grabbed Romano's hand.

"Don't touch him." He glared at my brother and Romano returned the hate but then he began to wince since Asher was using excessive force on his hand.

"Who do you think you are?" Romano demanded an answer as he tried to yank his wrist away but Asher didn't let him go.

"I'm Nico's mate," He answered confidently as he threw his arm away, "So don't even think about trying to hurt him." Asher's words did wonders for my heart.

"Mate?" Romano scoffed and looked at me, "So you went ahead and really did it?" He looked at me with contempt, "Even when you were warned not too long ago!?!"

"Hey!" Ann held my hand, "Watch it buddy, have some respect for your family!" She squeezed it tightly making me feel a little more calmer.

"Respect?" Romano found the statement funny, "For this weird thing." His words stung but this side didn't let it slide.

"Hey!" Asher growled at him, "Watch it!"

"Or what?" He glared back at Asher, then looked at me, "You're going to be in grave trouble once Mom and Dad find out." It was here, the thing I've feared my whole life.

Of course, Romano wasn't going to stop even if I begged him to, that's something time had proven again and again so I kept my mouth shut. I had no intention of stopping him but that didn't mean I wasn't scared.

"Well, why don't you run along and tell them?" Mister Luther spoke, "I'm sure you don't want to delay being a tattletale."

"And while you're doing that, tell them he's not coming back," Asher's mother stepped forward, "Because we'll be taking him."

!!!????

The tide of danger that had threatened to drown me receded, replaced by the reassuring presences

"Oh?" Romano found that funny as well, "You're going to keep him?" He laughed.

"Of course," Russian said, "You don't deserve such a lovely child."

Confusion knitted lines on my forehead. Why were they doing this? What prompted strangers to defend me when my own blood sought harm? How were they this good? They don't get anything out of protecting me like this.