Chapter 6 - Pre-Game Angsts

Charlie's POV

"Once you get changed, Charlie. We are going to just meet at Nick's flat. He said we can just walk to the downtown." Elle says as she parks the car outside my apartment complex. "I will be fast. I have something in mind already." I saw as I climb out of the car.

I quickly run up the staircase to my flat which I find empty. I wonder where Isaac is, Tao might still be in one of his forms.  I change into my go-to skinny jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt. I add a light cardigan on top that matched my converse high tops. I take a glance in the mirror that's on the inside of my door to fix my hair. I take a step away from the mirror and my nerves start to rise. I blink a few times and try to take a deep breath, but it does not really help. You are going to be fine. It is supposed to be fun tonight. 

I shut my bedroom door before I start to run back downstairs to Elle. The car ride is quiet, but not uncomfortably quiet. We just listen to the music that she has on her playlist. We park outside a little quant house that has a little wrap round porch. We walk up to the front door and Elle knocks. I wrap my hand around my upper arm tightly, hoping the force calms me down a little. 

The door opens, and there he is. Nick is wearing a tight fitted polo with khaki pants and black vans. It's pretty basic but he wears it so well. His hair is parted to one side, small bunches of hair strands sitting perfectly across his head. "Charlie! You came." Nick shouts, a hand round a glass bottle. Alcohol I presume. His smile is so genuine, it makes me blush.

"Wow Nick. Just ignore me. I am here too!" Elle says while she laughs, breaking me from my, what probably looks to be, a very cringy stare. "Can I get a quick drink before we go?" She adds. Without looking away from me, he quickly hands Elle the bottle he has in his hand. "Come in." He says, stepping behind the front door. I follow behind Elle who is taking small sips from her-Nick's drink.

"Can I get you something to drink, Charlie?" Nick asks, his one hand resting in his front pants pocket, the other wrapped awkwardly round his neck. "Um, I can go for some water if that's okay?" Way to sound like a party pooper, Charlie.

Nick smiles before walking towards the kitchen, leaving me at the front door. "Charlie!" I hear from the side room. I walk from the front door to the common room to see everyone from lunch or form class. "Hi everyone." I say from the entry way, giving a small wave. Darcy comes up and wraps her arm round me. "My guy! You ready for some fun? Let loose after your first 2 weeks of uni forms?" I can't help but chuckle a little. "Yeah, it should be fun. I have never been out drinking before." I pause and make a small humming sound while I think. "I have actually never had alcohol. My parents wouldn't let me." I add. 

"Well, that changes tonight!" Imogen says as she clumsily stands up and comes up to me. She hands me a small shot glass full of a green-ish yellow liquid. "Everyone take one!" She encourages and point to the end-table behind the sofa. Sahar starts to hand out the shots and we wait for everyone to have one. "Nicholas!" Imogen shouts as she stands on the cushions. Right as I turn to the entryway, Nick comes jogging in, my glass of water in hand. Sahar hands him a shot as he hands me my glass. Our fingers brush slightly, and a large rush of excitement enters my body. I can't help but blush again, a shy smile spreading across my lips. I look up quickly and see his face slightly flushed. My heart skips a beat as I look away.

Imogen says some kind of cheers and we all take our shots. I feel the liquor course through my system quickly. I try not to cough and embarrass myself. I take a rather large gulp of my water and let out a small giggle. I look up again at Nick who is grinning at me. 

"It is too early to go hopping, can we pre-game a bit before we head out?" Tara asks, raising her eyebrows as she laughs. "Yes please!" Sahar says as he wraps her arm around Imogen, who in return gives her a quick kiss on the cheek. 

"Would you like something else to drink?" Nick says as he brushes his shoulder against mine. "Something alcoholic, maybe?" He adds, letting out a little chuckle. "Not as gross as that shot, what was that?" I giggle. "That was tequila. I do not like tequila. Do you want to come in the kitchen and find something?" I just smile and give a small nod.

We walk into the kitchen and see a rather large shelf full of multiple types of liquor. "My flat mates are into drinking and game nights. I swear this is not all mine." He says almost embarred but laughs. I smile. "If it was your's, I wouldn't judge." I say with a small smile creeping from the corner of my lips. "I would judge me if this was all mine." I look at him and raise my eyebrows. We can't help but laugh with each other. "I guess I will do vodka with some juice or something. Do you have lemonade?" I ask. He smiles brightly and quickly makes my drink before handing it to me proudly. I take a small sip and I am very thankful it was a small one.

"It's a bit strong." I laugh, again trying not to laugh. "Let me try." He says, taking the cup from my hand. He takes a larger sip than me and immediately his eyes squint. "Maybe a tad too strong." He says before letting out a few coughs. I take the lemonade pitcher from the counter and fill the cup the rest of the way. I take a sip and smile. "Better?" He asks right as I hand him the cup. He looks away shyly before taking another sip. He nods his head. "Thats way better than my disaster." Now I can't help but laugh which causes his face to flush.

Nick and I stay in the kitchen for a while, the group shouting in the common room while it sounds like they play party games. For a while, I mean what feels like hours. We both seem to be having fun without the games and the heavy drinking... And just being with each other. Maybe he knows this all is making me a little uncomfortable. This is not really my kind of thing anyway. 

I kind of like it better with just Nick and I It feels so normal, right even. 

"Not to interrupt your... lovely conversation..." Elle says walking into kitchen as Nick and I laugh. "We are all ready to walk to the bar." She adds, a smile plaster brightly on her face. Sahar walks in laughing. "And Imogen needs to sober up a bit, she is being wild and needs a little chill!" I place my cup down and look at Nick who is looking a little uncomfortable. He nods his head and walks out of the kitchen. I look at Elle who is smiling at me. She takes my arm before we walk us out of the house and head downtown!