Chapter 16 - Is This Okay?

Charlie's POV

When I drive us back to Nick's house, we just listen to the soft music play of the playlist I made. I hope he has the chance to feel safe and comfortable at home...

I park the car just outside his house, turning the ignition. I open the door and I am about climb out but he grabs my hand. I sit back down and shut the door before looking at him. "What's up?" I ask calmly. He looks into my eyes before covering his face with his hands, hunching over but he doesn't say anything. I take his closest hand and hold it in both of mine. "Nick, talk to me." I whisper.

It takes him a few moments before he looks up at me. "I am really sorry, Charlie." He whispers, defeated. "Nick, I promise it's okay. I want you to be comfortable and I will be here as long as it takes." I pause, thinking of what I want to say next. "I want you to come out, how and when you want to. I do not want you to feel like just because I am out that that means you need to come out when you aren't ready." I say, a comforting smile on my face. I run my thumbs over his knuckles while he processes what I said.

"You know, you are probably one of the best people I know." He says as a smile grows bigger and bigger across his face.

Am I? I blink my eyes a few times, trying to push the thought out of my mind.

I jump out of the car and walk to the curb. When I get onto the sidewalk, I see Nick sitting in the car still. He is staring at the house. I open the car and squat down in front of him, placing my hands on my knees. "Charlie..." He clears his throat before continuing. "I can't go in there. I can't look at them." He looks down at his hands, fidgeting slightly. His legs start to bounce a little, adding to his anxiety. "Do you want to come to my apartment? I am sure Tao and Isaac won't mind." I suggest, causing his eyebrows to raise. "You sure?" I nod my head. "Can you drive? I just don't think I can right now." He asks, still looking at his hands. I don't respond. Instead I stand up and close his car door.

__________________________

"Come on." I say as I open the front door of my apartment. When we walk inside and I hear Tao and Isaac shouting from one of their rooms. We walk to my bedroom where Nick immediately crawls into my bed. "Give me a second."

I walk out of the room and to Tao's room. "Hey guys!" I say as I knock on the door that is slightly open. "Charlie. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever." Tao says, turning from the television. "Well you do have night classes." I say adding a small laugh at the end. "Sahar said you joined her band, that's really awesome Charlie." Isaac says, a really bright smile showing as his book lowers. "Yeah, it's not really a big deal." I say, shrugging. "Did you check the group chat?" Tao asks. I grab my phone from my pocket and see a bunch of notifications. "I guess not." I laugh at myself.

"We are going out again tonight and tomorrow we were all going to meet for breakfast. You going to come?" Tao asks. I nod my head a little. "I'm not really up to partying tonight but I will for sure go for breakfast." Issac stands up, closing his book entirely. "And we are going Halloween costume shopping too afterwards. You know, since it's in two weeks." He says before walking out of Tao's bedroom. "I will let you both get ready. Uh..." I pause, placing my hand on my elbow. Pulling the fabric of my sleeve. "Nick, he might be coming over in a bit if that's okay with you and Isaac?" I ask. He smiles politely. "Yeah! I thought he would be going out with us but of course. You don't need to clear anything like that with me and Isaac." He says and places a hand lightly on my shoulder. "Thanks Tao. I am just going to head in my room. Call me if you need anything, okay?" I start to step out of the room backwards as I ask the question. He nods his head before heading to his closet.

I walk back into my room, shutting the door behind me. I walk over and see Nick, wrapped in my comforter his eyes shut. I pause, resting my back against the door as I admire him for a moment. I take my shoes off before climbing under the comforter with him. A few moments later his eyes flutter open softly. "Hi." I whisper. "Hey." He whispers back, a small smile growing. He shuffles around in the bed before opening his arms for me to lay on his chest to which I gladly melt onto him. I feel him kiss the top of my head. "Was I asleep?" He yawns. "Yeah, but not for very long." I say and he moves his one hand to hold mine on his chest. I close my eyes for a second, enjoying the moment. He squeezes me closer and tighter. "What time is it?" He asks. I take my phone from my pocket. "21:30." I feel him shake his head.