Chapter 13 - The First Sleepover

❗️Trigger Warning: Eating Disorder, Anxiety

Nick's POV

I hear the front doorbell ring for Charlie's apartment and I look over at him. "I will get it, you just stay here." I say to Charlie who smiles at me. I kiss his forehead softly before jogging to the front door. I take the food from the delivery driver, handing him a tip for shutting the door. I go into their kitchen and place the food on separate dishes. I hold both plates in my hands and look at Charlie's. I try to calm my nerves so I place the plates on the counter before running my hand through my hair. I take a breath, trying to process what Charlie just told me.

Is this a normal thing for Charlie. Does he not eat very often or is this a one time thing? Like was he just so nervous about us all meeting his parents or is there more to this? I just want to help him but I don't know what to do to help though. Maybe I can ask him? What if he just pushes me away instead or I make it worse?

I shake my hands nervously and then take a long deep breath before grabbing the plates to walk back to Charlie's room. He sits up a little as I walk through the doorway, a smile growing across his face when he sees me. This causes me to smile back. I hand him the plates before I walk back to shut his bedroom door. "Here you go." He says, handing me a plate "Thank you." I say and sit down next to him. I wait for him to start eating, nerves running through my body. He takes a few bites so I decide to start eating. We eat without talking, just the background noise from a YouTube video we put on his TV. He finishes most of his food on his plate which makes me smile brightly. I take the last bite of my food before standing up. "Can I take that?" I ask, my hand outstretched. He places the plate in my hand and I walk back to the kitchen, placing the dishes in the sink.

Right when I walk into Charlie's room, I hear the front door open. I quickly shut the door and press my back to the wood, looking over to Charlie with wide eyes. I feel my heart start to beat faster and my hands start to get sweaty. "It's probably just Isaac. We usually come back at this time from the Chat." He says, trying to calm me down. I try to step away from the door but I feel like I am glued in place.

What if Isaac sees us here and tells someone? What if he tells someone and Charlie and I get found out? I don't know my sexuality for sure... I am not ready to come out yet as anything. I just need more time.

"Hey it's okay." Charlie breaks me from my panicked trance, his hand resting on my bicep. "Ch-Charlie, you are n-not sup-posed to be up." I say shakily. He looks at me for a second before pulling me into a tight embrace, his arms wrapping around my shoulders. I close my eyes as I feel his one hand move to the back of my head his fingers running through my hair calmingly. I wrap my arms below his shoulders, my hands running up his back to his shoulder blades. We stay like this for a few moments before he leans back. I open my eyes to see him smiling softly at me which causes me to smile too. He moves his one hand to my cheek and I rest against his touch. "It's okay, Nick. I promise." He reassures me.

He takes my hand and walks me to his bed. We climb in and under the covers, his head resting on my chest. His hand rubs across my chest slowly, calmingly, as we sit there for a few minutes. "Feeling better, Nick?" He asks. I look down at him before kissing his forehead. "Uh, I feel a little better. Yeah." I answer, smiling a little. He looks at me for a second before sitting up, resting on his one elbow to look down at me. "Are you still nervous about Isaac?" His face filling with concern. I just shake my head and place my hands over my eyes, letting out an unintentionally sigh.

"Sorry." I mumble. "I am sorry for being so confused and nervous about... about us." He places a hand on my cheek, his thumb rubbing across my cheekbone. "We agreed we'd go with whatever pace makes you comfortable. I can go distract Isaac if you want to sneak out?" He suggests which makes me chuckle. "That would be more suspicious, Charlie." We giggle together. I lift my arm to behind his shoulder, pulling him down to lay on my chest again. I grab the remote and turn the YouTube clip back on.