A Cardinal Meets An Eagle

NOTES: Content Warnings!! Mentions of guns and bullets, as well as gun violence and bullet wounds.

---

Wilbur has to resist the urge to tug Tommy closer as they make their way back to the tower after lunch. A paper bag with leftovers from the restaurant hangs off his arm, and Wilbur's got his own leftovers hanging off his arm as well. Tommy hadn't ordered much to eat, but Wilbur had ordered him a duplicate meal to-go for him to have another time. He'd also snuck the leftovers from their appetizer into Tommy's bag while he was in the bathroom. And if he'd noticed yet, he hadn't said anything.

The teen looks leagues better after their little outing; and it's apparent in the way his eyes droop. Honestly, he thought the blonde would fall asleep at the booth while Wilbur was paying their bill. He just looks exhausted, honestly. Like he's been fighting an army that Wilbur can't see, and has finally won the battle. Maybe not the war- there's still this lingering tension in his shoulders and wings as they walk -but the battle seems to at least be won for now. But the fact that Tommy still isn't entirely relaxed makes him want to tug him close and never let him go. He wants to tuck him against his side and wrap his shadows around them so he feels safe and secure.

But from what he knows, Tommy isn't too crazy about physical contact.

Back at the tower- and based on what little Phil has said about his interactions with him -Tommy's shied away from most contact. He'd cringe whenever someone put a hand on his shoulder or pat his back. And what's worse; he'd wince or flinch at their hands like they were live wires sparking too close for comfort.

But he seemed ok with subtle contact, for now. He seemed ok with him ruffling his hair and didn't flinch when their shoulders brushed during their walk. He'd even playfully hit Wilbur's arm at the restaurant when he'd made a dumb joke. And he really hoped that meant he did a good job making Tommy feel safer and more welcome. At first, he'd seemed..Almost afraid when Wilbur had mentioned showing his face. He'd gone still and his eyes were full of terror-filled confusion when he'd looked up at him.

He was just glad Tommy seems calmer now. More at ease than before they left the tower.

They walk back to the Hero Tower in relative peace with Wilbur filling in the silence with whatever icebreakers he could come up with. But when a question about music ends with Tommy shrugging and saying he mostly listens to video game soundtracks; Wilbur ends up going down a whole rabbithole and making him add a few more songs to his playlist to listen to later.

When they finally walk through the doors to the tower, Wilbur waves at the receptionists before leading Tommy further onto the floor. "Putting aside your shocking lack of taste in music," The teen squawks in protest. "Do you wanna take the stairs instead of the elevator this time? I have my staff key."

Tommy blinked. "There are stairs?"

Wilbur laughed a bit. "Yeah! Not many people use them cause they're usually for emergencies or one of the elevators is down for maintenance; but there's no rule saying we can't use them normally."

The teen bites his lip, and Wilbur smiles as he turns them down a hall to take the stairs instead. "..We don't have to."