Chapter 4

"Ammi." Salaar entered the kitchen to find her mother making coffee for Rizwan, his father. She looked up at her handsome son and smiled.
(Mom.)

"Kiya chahye mere haseen sahabzaade ko?" Maria teased her son and he rolled his eyes. But no doubt, her sahabzaade is definitely more than haseen.
(Son)
(Handsome)
(What does my hansome son want?)

"Apse or baba se kuch zaroori bat karni hai. Ap kamre main chalein." To be honest, Salaar was hesitant for the first time infront of his parents. He never had to ask them for anything before. They were the ideal parents and never denied Salaar anything but this was a major decision of his life that his parents deserved to have a say in.
(I want to discuss something important with you and dad. Please, come to the room.)

Rizwan Sikander was reading a book when he saw his wife and son entering the room together. As much as the parents pampered him, Salaar never talked too much so it was a surprise for the father too.

"Aj yahan chand kese nazar agaya, Maria?" Rizwan asked his wife and took the cup of coffee from her as she smiled at the father - son duo.
(How has the moon appeared here today?)

"Ab ap iss chand se hi poochein."
(Ask the moon himself as he's here now.)

"Bolein, chand." Maria chuckled and Salaar frowned at his parents. They always made fun of him which made him love them all the more but right now, it was sparking his nerves and he was already on edge. His parents approval mattered the most to him.
(Speak, my moon.)

"Wo kuch...ek...bat kehni thi." Their eyebrows raised simultaneously at their son's hesitation. Now, they're curious too.
(I wanted to say....something.)

"Bolo, beta. Hum sun rahe hain." Maria comforted her son which got him to talk as it always did in the past.
(Speak, my son. We're listening.)

"Main shadi karna chahta hon." For a second, even the air stilled which was broken by the joyful laugh of his mother. She had been waiting for this sentence for forever. She got up and kissed his forehead and grabbed his cheeks.
(I want to get married.)

"Shukar Alhumdulilah, mere bete ko kuch akal agayi." Rizwan mumbled but nonetheless, was grinning ear to ear.
(Oh, thank Allah. My son has gotten some sense back in him.)

"Batao, koi pasand hai tumhe?" Maria asked though she knew the answer. Salaar's emotions have always been transparent to his mother.
(Tell me, do you have someone in mind?)

"Amal." Rizwan eyes widened and he looked at Maria in which her only reply was a known smile. Unknown to Salaar, Maria had already discussed this matter with Rizwan the night before. Rizwan was worried that maybe she was reading wrong into it because Salaar never liked any other girl before but as always, Maria proved her husband wrong.

"Mujhe pata tha mere bete ki choice mujhse bhi achi hogi." Salaar was confused as he analyzed his overjoyed parents. Won't they say anything about the age gap between them? He thought they'd deny the first time.
(I always knew that my son will choose his bride better than me.)

"Ap dono ko koi ehtraaz to nahi hai?"
(Do I have your approval?)

"Amal bilkul meri apni beti ki tarah hai. Main bohot khush hon ke tumne usse pasand kiya. Wo suljhi hui or smajhdar hai. Tumhare iss khadoos mood ko bhi shayad theek karde." Rizwan teased his son again but gave his approval and a fatherly hug which calmed his son down.
(Amal is like a daughter to me. I'm ecstatic that you chose her. She's very intelligent and understanding. She may even remove your grumpy mood.)

"Jitni jaldi hosake main Saleem bhai or Aria bhabi se bat karongi phir tum permanently apni post yahan shift karwa lena. Wese bhi abhi tumhari chuttiyan khatam hone main time hai. Usse pehle, inshallah, sab settle hojayega or......" Salaar cut the excited rant of his mother and hugged her too.
(I will talk to Saleem brother and Aria sister as soon as I can then you can shift your post here permanently. There is some time left before your holidays end so, if Allah wills, everything will settle quickly and...)

"Ab ap Chacho, chachi se bat karke Amal ka jawab batayein mujhe." Salaar left the room after his heart was content.
(Now, talk to Uncle, Aunty and tell me Amal's answer.)
------------------------------------------

"Salaar bhai se shaadi?!" Amal was mortified at her mother's suggestion. Lagta hai ammi mujhse jaan churane ke chakkar main khud chakra gayi hain! (I think mom has lost her mind in the hurry if getting me married.)
(Marriage with Salaar brother!)

"A

hista dramebaaz larki! Or wo tumhara bhai nahi hai. Salaar se acha shohar tumhe nahi mil sakta. Mujhe to bohot pehle hi tumhara usse nikkah kardena chahye tha to shayad tum kuch sudhar gayi hoti." Aria squinted her eyes at her daughter and she gasped in horror.
(Quiet you dramatic girl! And he's not your brother. Salaar is better than anyone I could've found. I should've married you off to him earlier so you wouldn't throw these tantrums.)

"Main unn hawannak se shaadi nahi karongi. Saari zindagi daante rahenge or parhai ki batein karte rahenge. Apni daraoni si shakal se apne kaam karwate rahenge. Ye to shaadi se zyada ek nightmare hoga!" Aria pinched the bridge of her nose at her stupid yet innocent daughter's assumptions. How can she tell her that he will not be like this after their marriage because he's the one who proposed and liked her first?
(I won't marry that animalistic person! He'll keep scolding me and keep talking about further studies all my life. With his scary face, he will keep giving me his works to do. It sounds like a nightmare rather than a marriage!)

"Dekho, meri jan, betho. Shaadi ke baad aesa nahi hoga. Salaar tumhara bohot khayal rakhega or wo ek mature larka hai. Tumhare aage har shoq main tumhe support karega. Shaadi ke bad bohot cheezein badal jaati hain. Tum kuch waqt ke liye socho or Salaar se khud bhi bat karo. Wo tumhari har bat manega." Aria reassured her daughter calmly and she listened quietly for once. Marriage with Salaar sounded absurd to her. He'd always been so strict with her. She didn't even have any friends because of him.
(Look, my love, sit. It will not be like this after the marriage. Salaar will take care of you and he's a very mature guy. He will support you in every passion of yours. A lot of things change after marriage. You have time to think and you can also talk to Salaar. He will agree to everything you want.)

"Apko kese pata ke wo har bat manege meri?"

Uff! Ye bawali larki. Ar

ia thought and chuckled. Caressing her head lovingly, she whispered.
(How do you know that he'll listen to everything I say?)
(God, this stupid girl.)

"Mujh main itni qualitites kahan jo main khud se pata karlon bas ap bohot bewaqoof hain isliye apko nahi pata." Amal whined at her mom's words as she laughed.
(I don't have enough qualities to know these things. It's just you who is naive/stupid.)