Chapter 3

I fidgeted with my fingers awkwardly as I sat beside him.

"Ap law student hain?" He asked me in his strong and deep voice but just as gentle.

"Ji." Abhi Ami ne yahi kaha hai inse. Kam sunte hain kiya?

"Lagta nahi hai." I looked up at him with a scowl.

"K-kiya matlab?"

"I mean no offense, Noor. You look like someone who'd study literature or art." His eyes were not as intense as before. He was looking at me.....softly, if it makes sense.

"Aesa kyon lagta hai apko?" His assumption made me curious. I didn't wear a mix of bright colors nor did I say any Shakespeare poetry.

"Because, maybe, you're delicate like fresh paint on a canvas or a fragile poetry but just as intricate." He was continuously staring at me which made me a little too much nervous and I looked away. His words made me shiver and I gave it a minute thought. Do I really resemble that? I just nodded as a response. Like a saviour, Dadi jaan made me tune into a conversation with her and I didn't have to talk to him further. He made me more quieter than I already am with his personality. One would believe that he is the most similar to a wolf. A wild wolf in dense forest with no inhibitions or the fear of danger because they're the predator in the jungle themselves.

I kept myself engaged with his Dadi on purpose and then, it was time for lunch. I cooked up an excuse to help my mother in the kitchen and left the room. Ami threw me, a piece of meat, to the wolf himself. What an incredible mother. With my sarcastic thoughts, I helped set the table and ate my food quickly without talking to anyone. Alhumdulilah, everyone started to depart to their designated rooms. I began to sneak out when I heard the voice of trouble. Allah bachaye mujhe Ami se.

I smiled at her and asked.

"Koi kaam hai, Ami?"

"Han. Waleed ko zara uska room dikha do." Kiya Hamza bhai, Rehan bhai or Dayaan bhai iss ghar main nahi rehte? Unse keh dein.

"Ami, wo-"

"Main dikha deti hon. Noor thak gayi hogi, Tayi ammi." Amara came to my rescue and I sighed in relief.

"To room konsa 10 ghar chorne ke baad ayega. Bas upper hi to jana hai. Or tumhe wese bhi apne exams ki tayyari karni hai. Go to your room." Kiya hogaya hai Ami ko? With a frown, Amara left for her room. I saw the cause of my problems, Waleed, enter the kitchen.

"Aunty, mu-"

"Han, Noor apko apka room dikha dein gi." Ami told him and went to assist Farheen api and Dada, Dadi. We were left alone in the kitchen.

"Chalein?" He asked me as if he's a gentleman but I nodded nonetheless. I walked infront of him and took a left where there is Tariq bhai's and Dayaan's room. The last one on the corridor was his.

"This is your room." I showed him and stepped back. He opened the door and analyzed the room.

"Agar apko kuch chahye ho to Ami ko batayega."

"Apko nahi bata sakta?" He tilted his head at me while standing in the doorway and I flushed at his comment.

"J-ji nahi, mera ye matlab nahi tha. Ap ghalat mat samjhein." I knew damn well that he was teasing me but I have no interest in being frank with him.

"Ijazat dein mujhe." With those words, I left before he could say anything anymore.

                        ********************

Waleed wasn't present at the dinner. The dinner was pretty much uneventful except that Amara and Dayaan, both were in a bad mood. Everyone was confused as to why these two sweet humans are in such a low mood. I couldn't understand them despite being their best friend and they weren't telling anything even when I asked them separately. Maybe, they fought though it's rare between the three of us. I told others just to give them some time.

It was eleven at night and I couldn't sleep. This was not a daily occurrence but it happened more than I'd like to admit. One time, I even thought I had insomnia but forgot about it when I fell asleep for a whole day. I placed the veil on my head loosely and went straight to the kitchen. I always prepared a cup of coffee for myself when I couldn't sleep. The irony. I love all kinds of coffees except the black one. That's not coffee, that's poison.

I took a sigh of pleasure when the taste of coffee hit my taste buds. The chilly weather proved to be a perfect combination. I just need music now. I strolled to the lawn and saw the door already opened. My eyebrows scrunched in confusion but I went outside and saw a figure sitting on the lawn's table chair. Everyone is asleep at this time except Hamza bhai and sometimes Dayaan are roaming around. They're the night owls but the figure sitting on the lawn was way too buff and tall to be them. They were too but not like this.

"Who is-" The man turned his head and turned out to be Waleed. With a cup of coffee. Why's he awake? He also gazed at me curiously and I sat down with a seat between us.

"Ap jaag rahi hain iss waqt?" I nodded my head and took a sip of my coffee.

"Or ap iss waqt coffee pi rahe hain?" I asked and he imitated me as he nodded his head cutely. I smiled widely but tried to hide it. I knew I failed miserably as I saw him smile too. We drank in silence which was soon broken by him.

"Ap konsi university main hain?"

"Harvard University." It is one of the prestigious university of the world. I have learned a lot there. We have actually been residing in London since I was a kid.

"I might say that's impressive, Noor." His husky voice mumbled in the dark of the night and I shivered. I don't know from the chill or him.

"What about you?" I deserve to ask a question too and get back an answer. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. He'd be thinking why I'm suddenly conversing with him when I avoided him earlier.

"What about me?" I almost rolled my eyes. Almost.

"What is your occupation?" He was surprised more than the previous question.

"You don't know?" If I'd known, I wouldn't have asked. Dumbo.

"No."

"I'm the Vice President of The Khan Construction Industries." What? It is one of the most famous and successful corporate business in America. I knew a little about it as I'm studying corporate law. So, he's a big shot? I never could've imagined.

"Oh-Wow. I could've never guessed." He chuckled and my eyes didn't move from him like they're glued to him. It was a deep, manly chuckle. This is the first time I'd seen him smile. He should smile more. He's more go-

Astaghfirullah!

I checked him out. Once again. When did I become so shameless? As long as I remember, I don't even glance at someone more than a second.

"You should talk more. I'd like to hear you." Why's he so good with those lines? Has he practiced them a lot before? Seems like it. I blushed red but didn't have the guts to say a word. He's so freaking intimidating.

"So, tell me. Do you have anyone you're interested in?"

What. The. Hell.

"Kiya kehna chahte hain ap?" I asked him seriously.

"Main saaf bat karta hoon, Noor. Agar ap kisi or main interested nahi hain to main apka rishta chahta hon. Apne liye."

"Ji?!"