Chapter 4

I looked at him in panic. He was as calm as the wind on a cold night while I felt as if a hot sun was burning my body, melting my insides.

"Mere proposal ke baare main soochein or apni mother se discuss karein. I have no issues. Maine apko dekha, pasand kiya or rishta bheja. Main apse itna hi kahon ga." His intense stare was back at me and I flushed. I felt a weird feeling in my stomach which I knew all too well. Butterflies.

"Kuch bolein, Noor. You're making me anxious." At his words, I realized I never said a word. He made me speechless.

"H-hum b-baad main b-bat karenge." I literally ran inside.

                   *********************

"Jaldi ajayein, Noor api." Ayesha whined for the nth time as I nervously looked at the makeup spread on the dressing table which I used to get ready for today. We were going out today to give a tour to Farheen api of London. She came here for the first time. I had gotten ready awhile ago but after last night, I could think about nothing but the proposal. I wore loose brown pants with a maroon shirt and a cream coloured long coat.

"Main ajaoungi, tum jao."

"Sirf ap hi nahi ayein. Baaqi sab tayyar hain neeche." I took a frustrated breath and followed her downstairs. I haven't even told mom yet. The scenario in the living room was something familiar to every desi person in a desi household. Some had gotten into the cars and some were taking their things last minute and some were checking their bags to see if something's left behind.

"Kahan reh gayi thi tum? Late horahe hain hum." Tariq bhai interrogated after greeting me with a hug and a kiss to the head. If I'm not being a typical sibling, I'd say there's no gentleman like my brother. He's the perfect brother, the obedient son and the responsible cousin. He's such a green flag that I think no girl deserves him. He has to marry a considerable woman like himself. I'm sure he will one day.

Finally, everyone settled and all were ready to leave but I couldn't spot the intense green eyes anywhere. I didn't see him since I walked out of my room. I didn't dare ask anyone where he is. I already know what mom's planning and if she got to know about his proposal, she'd marry me off in a week. I just know my mother.

Anyways, Farheen api, me, Tariq bhai, Rehan bhai and Amara were in one car. Ayesha, Farah, Dayaan and Hamza bhai were in another. The elders were lounging in the house and will join us for lunch at a particular restaurant all of us decided.

"I'm so excited! London has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember." Farheen api exclaimed and I smiled at her softly. I hadn't gotten the chance to talk to her but she's extremely nice and sweet, unlike her brother, from what I've seen and heard. She's like the elder sister I never had.

"So, what do you like the most about London?" Tariq bhai asked and she looked surprised but answered.

"First and foremost, God, the accent! I'm so envious of your British accent. The second thing is the ancient vibe this place gives. It's like......" She continued on and on and everyone pinched in once in a while when they had their own to add to it. Did I tell you she's very talkative? That's why Ayesha and Farah like her so much. They relate a lot.

Amara has been quiet from yesterday but I tried to get her to chat with me even when it's hard for me to do so.

"Amara, aj lunch main kiya khana hai? Mujhse to aj decide hi nahi horaha. I want to eat pizza, chinese cuisine, donuts and tacos. I can't decide on one." She tried to smiled at me but it appeared to be a grimace.

"Aj mera kuch khas khane ka mood nahi hai." I was shocked by her response. The most similar thing between us is our love for good food. She has never denied to eat food at a restaurant before. She's even more excited than me sometimes. Something is terribly wrong. I could feel it before but it's stronger now. I didn't force any conversation again. I'll talk to her about it when I see a chance.

We visited the Tower of London, The British Museum, Buckingham Palace but only from the outside though, Imperial War Museum and walked on the famous London Bridge. We took many photos and had so much fun. Finally, lunch arrived. All of us were starving. We met the elders at the appointed restaurant and they told their silly stories to them. As we waited for food, I wouldn't have thought that he would join us suddenly.

"I'm a little late. Sorry about that." He apologized as he ran his eyes through everyone before settling on me. A shudder ran through my body at his gaze but he sat down and looked away. As usual, the table was very loud because of my cousins. Except Amara and Dayaan were still very quiet even after the trip. Did they really have a serious fight? Even Ami, Chachi Afia and Chachi Laiba, who's Amara's mother, are starting to notice this. Things are getting very awkward because I'm left alone between the two to decide what's to happen.

The food arrived and everyone ate heartily. I was so famished that I didn't even look left and right before eating. I finished first and felt the familiar stare on me. I swivel my head up and he was trying to hide his smile while eating and staring at me. Why is he smiling? Did he find me eating funny? I don't really care if he thinks I do.

But you do. Because he's going to be your husband.

I never said yes and Ami doesn't even know!

Oh! Your mom will definitely say yes. She's been playing cupid since the moment he arrived in your house.

Ya Allah! Kiya hoga ab? Kiya Ami sach main han keh dengi? Lekin asal main to meri han matter karti hai. Kiya main unse abhi shaadi karne ke liye tayyar hon? Pata nahi. Kiya main future main unse shaadi karna chahongi? My mind stopped there and I realized something at that exact moment, on the lunch table, with everyone around and his stare on me.

I'm starting to like Waleed Khan.

I have to tell Ami. I can't keep this proposal with me for long.

                      *********************

I had been pacing back and forth outside of my parents' room for fifteen minutes. I think I'm chickening out.

Bas Noor! Ab ander jana hoga. Abhi nahi to kabhi nahi.

I knocked on the door and Ami opened the door seconds later.

"Arey, Tum jaag rahi ho. Mujhe laga so gai hogi. Kuch chahye, beta?" I didn't say a word to her question and she scrutinized me in a questionable manner. I fidgted agitatedly and glanced at her. She opened the door and gestured me to sit. Abbo appeared surpised to find me here. Mom took a seat beside him on the bed and I sat on the single seater sofa infront of them.

"Ami, kal raat kuch hua hai." I let out with difficulty. I'm so apprehensive right now.

"Kiya hua? Sab theek to hai na?" Ami was worried instantly.

"Ji ji, p-pareshani ki bat nahi hai." Lekin mere liye hai. She took a deep sigh and nodded, relieved.

"To kiya hua, Noor?" Abbo asked gently. His voice always makes me spill everything I have in my mind and heart. I think he is a manipulator or something.

"W-Waleed proposed to me, y-yesterday." I stumbled on my words and Ami's eyes widened and then she laughed heartily as if she has been waiting for this for forever. Abbo was sat shocked and still. His reaction made my anxiousness rocket through the roof.

"Dekhein, Kamal! Hamari beti ka rishta aya hai wo bhi itne ache khandaan se. Main to iss waqt ka kabse intezar kar rhi hon. Mashallah, meri bachi." Ami kissed my forehead lovingly and I smiled, somewhat calm.

"Waleed? Kiya ap positive hain, Amna begum?" Abbo raised an unexpected question which got me and my mother immobile for a second before mom frowned.

"Kiya matlab, Kamal? I'm just not positive. I'm certain, definitely, surely, evidently, hundred percent ready to give my daughter to a man like Waleed. He's the most honourable man that I can choose for my daughter in an era like this but not everyone is perfect.

Not you, not me, not our children and not Waleed. But this doesn't make them any less because the heart that they possess is the kindest and the loving. Don't act like you didn't give me headaches and fights throughout our marriage, Kamal." At the end, the attention was given to solely him and his eyebrows raised in panic and he nodded hysterically. A giggle escaped me at their antics.

Allah, I love them. Please, always keep them happy like this.

"Or tum! Kiya hai tumhare dimagh main Waleed ko lekar?"