Ash and Blood

A small rumbling shook the bed and awoke me from a dazed sleep. When nothing followed, I put it down to yet another hallucination, maybe they thought I was finally alive enough to resume the torture.

I rolled over and tried to block it out as another wave hit, stronger than before and I heard panicked scrambling outside the door. Shouting followed by more small explosions.

The door opened, startling my concentration. Gwen. "Quickly Miss, there isn't much time." She hurried to the bed with a bundle of clothes before pulling back the covers and ushering me out.

"Gwen, what's going on?"

The housekeeper scrambled to dress me, more determined than I'd ever seen her act. "I'll explain it all later, but we need to get you out of here before the guards return." She laced the brown boots before helping to pull out all the wires I was hooked up to and finally pulling on a thick, woollen jumper.

"Wait, what do you mean get out?"

She seemed exasperated to have to explain and pulled me along as she spoke quietly. "They're causing a distraction downstairs so I can get you through the servants staircase. Someone will be waiting on the other side to take you to safety. Now hurry."

We began down the hallway before something stopped me in my tracks. The soft buzzing of power hummed away against my chest. This wasn't right.

"Gwen, I can't leave." She was puzzled, still clutching at my hand as more explosions went off beneath us.

"Now isn't the time to go soft on me, Miss. We need to go!" Her eyes pleaded as tears streamed down her face, she was risking her life to do this.

"You go. Get out if this place while you can. There's something I need to do first." I gave her a grateful smile, a last goodbye. "Thank you for being so kind to me."

Gwen screamed in horror as a gun sounded from behind and she pushed me out of the way, crumpling to the floor. Her face frozen in permanent terror as I watched the life leave her eyes. The scream rippled through the manor, making the whole world still for just a moment.

Grief dragged me back to reality; my friend had tried to save me and had paid the price. Just like everyone who ever got close to me did.

A twisted cackle and long blond locks, the gun still aimed directly at me. "Don't even think about running or you'll end up just like your friend here." Kate approached the lifeless body, kicking it out of the way as she passed. "Get up."

The pain had me glued to the floor, I couldn't leave Gwen alone like this, I wouldn't. "This isn't you, Kate." I spat through gritted teeth. "You're not a killer."

I was struck with the butt of the gun as Kate scoffed, "You don't know me, you never have." More blows rained down as I tried to shield my face from the attack. Scrambled footsteps coming up the stairs as three more men approached us.

"The bitch is here, trying to escape. Take her down to Drakon, it has to be done now." The burly men dragged me down the staircase at Kate's order and I struggled against their grip as she led the way, almost skipping with glee.

We passed more bodies than I could count, servants had risked their lives to help me escape as well as many of my captors lying in pools of their own blood. Only a few guards remained at the entrance to the office, bloodied and torn up, I was glad someone had taken them down a peg or two. The witch was sat in an armchair as Drakon paced the study. And then I saw him.

I went to call out for him, but he held a finger to his lips, was I dreaming or was he really stood before me exuding murderous intent from every inch of his body. His eyes had darkened and fully focused on the marks that were no doubt prominent against my neck.