Chapter Thirteen

——CHAPTER THIRTEENBreak On Through——

——
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
Break On Through
——

CAITLYN STOOD IN the control room, watching as Alaric was about to be pushed into the MRI scanner with Meredith Fell and Elena beside her.

That morning, she awoke in an unfamiliar room but became less panicked when she saw Klaus sitting on a chair, sketching.

They bid their goodbyes, stealing a few kisses here and there.

And now, per Alarics request, she was at the hospital.

"What are you looking for?" Elena asked, worried for her father-figure.

"I don't know. A tumor, vascular anomalies, anything physical that might explain his behavior. If it's medical, I can treat it." Meredith said, not boosting the girls' worrying moods.

Caitlyn sighed, anxiously wringing her hands, "And if it's not?" She asked.

"Well, then we'll deal with that too."A technician slide Alaric inside the machine.

"When did you suspect him? That it was Alaric who was killing all of those people?" Elena wondered.

Meredith shrugged, "It was after he told me about his ring. I remembered a story my grandmother had told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal. I don't know if you know this, but we Fells are notorious busy-bodies."

Caitlyn turned to the woman, confused, "But then, why did you protect him?"

"Because I'm a doctor, I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over. And because when he and I first met I felt like...I don't know, I- I just kind of want to help him."

In the machine Alaric started to panic. Meredith talks to him over a speaker, "Everything alright in there?"

"Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay." Alarics voice echos through the room, and everyone sighs in relief.

——

After the scan, Alaric is in a regular hospital room getting ready to leave, and Caitlyn and Elena went in.

"Meredith says that everything is normal." Elena said, attempting to be optimistic about the situation.

Alaric nodded sarcastically, not feeling optimistic, "Yeah, well, everything is normal, because there is nothing wrong with me. I didn't kill Brian Walters, I didn't kill Bill Forbes, and I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach."