9 | Heat And Heart

❦ 𝐆 𝐈 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀

"Why do you live in this big apartment all by yourself?" I ask Dominic as I walk into his place. The room is styled in muted tones of cream and charcoal, with sleek furniture adorning the spacious living area, giving it an air of sophistication that seems almost out of place for a bachelor home.

"Why do you ask? Do you want to come live with me, Tesoro?" he teases, his voice laced with a hint of playfulness. I roll my eyes at the suggestion.

"No way!"

"Come here," he says, gesturing toward his inviting leather couch. I reluctantly go and sit, the supple leather cool against my skin, making sure to maintain some distance between us. He smirks when he realizes that, his eyes glinting with a mischievous spark.

"What now?" I ask, glancing around at the tasteful artwork that adorns the walls.

"My family invited us for dinner tomorrow night at their place. They're going to ask a lot of questions. We need a convincing backstory. How did we meet? How long have we been together? Details matter, Tesoro." Dominic's gaze is intense, his mind clearly already strategizing.

"Can't we just say we met at a club or something?" I suggest, trying to keep it simple.

"You're twenty," he reminds me, his fingers tapping lightly on the coffee table.

"Right," I respond, feeling a bit foolish for the oversight.

"How about this? We met at a coffee shop. One morning when you were going to school, we bumped into each other. You ended up being late for school, so I gave you a ride, and just like that, we kept talking and eventually fell in love-even though at first you hated me, but you just couldn't resist my charms." Dominic's eyes gleam with satisfaction as he weaves the narrative.

"Right, like that could ever happen," I scoff, but there's a flicker of amusement in my eyes. Dominic leans back, looking satisfied.

"Now, about public displays of affection-" he starts, and I interrupt, maintaining the practical aspect of our arrangement.

"There won't be any. Fake fiancée, remember?" I remind him.

He grins mischievously, "We'll see about that." His eyes hint at a challenge that makes me raise an eyebrow.

"Why do you even want that? It's not like you like me," I tell him, curiosity getting the better of me.

"I might not like you, but that doesn't mean I'll let anyone else have you." He says it casually, but there's a possessive undertone that makes me roll my eyes in response. Dominic leans closer to me and puts his hands on the sides of my head, caging me to the couch, creating a charged atmosphere in the room.

"Don't test my patience. It's not a good idea." His voice is low and assertive. I push him off me, his chuckle resonating in the room.

"You're crazy."

"I thought you loved that about me," he says, pretending to be hurt, a glimmer of playfulness in his eyes.

"I don't," I retort, but there's a hint of a smile playing on my lips. Dominic looks at me as if he doesn't fully believe my denial.

"Are you hungry?" he asks when he hears my belly grumble.

How embarrassing.

"No," I respond, obviously lying, my cheeks flushing.

"You may not admit it, Gianna, but you're mine to take care of. I'll just cook something for you, and there's no arguing about it. Now come, let me make sure you're properly fed." He says it with a blend of authority and concern that surprises me, and I nod subconsciously, following him to the kitchen. The kitchen, much like the rest of the apartment, is meticulously organized, the scent of Italian spices lingering in the air.

I stand in the doorway of Dominic's kitchen, enveloped in the savory aroma of simmering Italian spices. Dominic, wearing a casual yet impeccably stylish apron, orchestrates a culinary symphony with a pan in hand. The granite countertops gleam, and stainless steel appliances hint at a kitchen well-equipped for gourmet endeavors.

"What are you making, Chef Dominic?" I ask, leaning against the frame, curious eyes fixed on his culinary endeavors.

Dominic, a sly smile playing on his lips, doesn't turn away from the stove as he responds, "Spaghetti."

Unable to suppress my smirk, I lean against the kitchen counter, watching him work his culinary magic.

"Have a seat, Gianna. You're distracting me."

I chuckle, taking a seat at the nearby kitchen island. The tantalizing aroma grows stronger as Dominic expertly flips ingredients in the pan.

"I must say, you seem quite at home in the kitchen. Who knew you were a secret chef?" I comment, observing his culinary finesse.

Dominic shoots me a wink over his shoulder, his hands moving with practiced ease. "I have a few hidden talents." The sizzle of ingredients in the pan adds a rhythmic melody to the kitchen.

As he plates the dish, the vibrant colors of the Italian cuisine create a visual feast, sparking my curiosity. The dining area, an extension of the kitchen, features an elegant table set for two.

"Ready to savor the masterpiece?" Dominic asks, presenting the dish with a flourish. I nod eagerly, picking up my fork as he serves the dish. The first bite is a revelation of flavors, and I can't hide my delight.

"Wow, Dominic. This is amazing." I express my appreciation.

Dominic smirks, a possessive glint in his eyes."Of course it is, Tesero. This is just the beginning of what I can offer you. Get ready for more surprises, exclusively for you." His words hold a promise, and I can't help but wonder what would happen if our relationship was real. He is too good at faking this, even when we're alone.

As we enjoy the delicious Italian food he cooked, we chat and I get to see different sides of Dominic's personality in the kitchen. The evening feels like a gentle dance, with us joking and understanding each other without saying much.

After finishing our meal, we decide to relax and watch TV on his comfy couch. The soft cushions make it cozy, and the warm light from a simple floor lamp adds to the comfortable atmosphere. Dominic, focused on the show, occasionally looks my way. The small changes in the room make it easygoing, even though our made-up engagement adds a layer of complexity.

"Dominic, what time is it?" I ask, realizing I've fallen asleep on him. His hands wrapped around me provide an unexpected sense of security.

"Tesero, go back to sleep," he orders, his deep voice a soothing murmur. I contemplate the idea, feeling a warmth emanating from his presence.

"I have to study for my exam on Monday," I admit reluctantly.

"Alright, fine. Let's go." Dominic rises from the couch, and I gather my belongings.

On our way back, Dominic asks, "Are you planning on moving back to Texas after you graduate?" He steers the conversation toward the future as he drives, the city lights painting a mesmerizing backdrop beyond the windshield.

"I don't think so. I like it here," I share.

"That's good," he responds, his voice deepening.

We lapse into a comfortable silence, the hum of the engine providing a steady soundtrack to our journey. Dominic occasionally steals glances in my direction, a subtle exchange of unspoken thoughts.

Once we reach my home, Dominic drops me off and says, "I have to go, Tesero. It's an emergency. I'll text you later," a hint of urgency evident in his departure.

Alone in my apartment, I sink into the couch, exhaustion taking over after a lengthy day. My mom's not around since she's off exploring the city with my brother.

As I prepare to dive into my textbooks, the door rings again. "Dominic?" I say as I open the door, but it's Marco's voice that responds once he sees my face.

"No." He responds, his expression is tinged with anger.

A/N
I'm hoping I can finish this by the end of this month since it's a Christmas story but anyways I'm leaving wattpad for now. I'll be back once I'm done taking my final exams. 😭🤍