12 | Betrayal's Sting

❦ 𝐆 𝐈 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀

I walk into Dominic's father's mansion, hand in hand with him. Suddenly, he halts, inspecting my left hand with a concerned and possessive gaze.

"You remembered to wear it," Dominic states, his voice expressing satisfaction.

"Yeah, I figured something like this might happen," I admit, not confessing the fact that I haven't taken off the engagement ring since we got 'engaged.'

I had to tell my mother that it was a promise ring so she'd stop asking questions.

"There will be many men here tonight, but don't worry about them. In their eyes, you're off-limits because you're with me," Dominic reassures me, and I nod, unsure of what to say.

He tightens his grip on my hand, making my heart flutter.

"Son! You're here," Dominic's father calls out, breaking the moment, and we proceed into the lavish mansion, the air heavy with an unspoken tension.

I guess Dominic was worried for nothing.

I glance around the room, feeling a bit awkward, but Dominic being so close that our shoulders are touching is oddly comforting.

"You said you had something to tell me?" Dominic asks, his tone impatient, and his constant checking on me revealing his concern.

In a sudden twist, a group of men in sharp black suits entered the room. Dominic, far from being worried, exuded confidence. Their presence injected a serious tone into the atmosphere, leaving me intrigued. Dominic acknowledged them with a nod, hinting that he was in the know. It made me more curious about the purpose of their visit.

"Yes, but let's eat first. I see you've brought the fiancée," he says, acknowledging my presence. Dominic turns to look at me, a warm smile on his face as his eyes meet mine.

"It's nice to see you again, Mr. Morretti." I smile.

"Please call me Lucius," he insists, his voice gentle.

"Okay," I respond as we follow him to the dining room. To my surprise, I find Abigail seated next to Dominic's half-brother, Nathaniel making me frown.

"Ignore them," Dominic whispers, and I listen to his advice. We take our seats across from them at the dining room table.

Dominic's stepmother makes her entrance, wearing a gray dress adorned with mismatched patterns and frills that clash in an unflattering way. The dress looks overly small for her frame, with wrinkles and creases adding to its overall disheveled appearance. Despite the bold choice, her beaming smile hints at something brewing beneath the surface. We all sit in anticipation, awaiting the announcement from Lucius.

As we dine, Lucius begins, "I know you're all wondering why I've invited you here." He pauses, a bright smile on his face, continuing, "Many years ago, I lost my first wife. I miss her dearly. I thought I'd never retire until I found out what happened to her." Lilith appears angered by his words. "But I've finally decided to make peace with it and hand over the business to my son."

"Yes!" Lilith exclaims with genuine enthusiasm, her excitement echoing through the room.

"Dominic," Lucius continues.

"What?" Lilith asks, growing angry again.

"He was always meant to take over. He is my first born," Lucius explains.

Dominic glances at me, and I offer a small smile. He smiles back.

"He was that bitch's son. You were supposed to hand over the business to our son. You promised," Lilith says, feigning tears.

"Do not call her a bitch. As I was saying, I was angry at Dominic for disobeying me, but he is a good son. He will be better at this than Nathaniel could ever be," Lucius asserts sternly.

"Can I talk to you in private?" Lilith requests, and they leave the room.

A few minutes later, Dominic turns to me. "Excuse me," he says, kissing my cheek before heading off as well.

"You're here," Abigail remarks with a mix of curiosity and uncertainty.

"So are you," I respond, keeping my tone measured.

"Are we okay?" she asks, her eyes searching for a genuine answer.

"I don't know, Abigail," I reply honestly, the uncertainty of our relationship echoing in my response.

I can't shake the thought that besides Dominic, she's the only one who knew about our fake engagement. The fact that Marco somehow found out doesn't sit well with me.

Abigail nods, then turns her attention to Nathanial, who seems furious. They whisper to each other, and Abigail looks excited when he shares something with her.

Eventually, she exits the room with a smirk on her face.

After waiting for about five minutes, I decide to find Dominic. I've grown tired of his brother's peculiar stares.

I roam around the mansion, opening random doors in hopes of finding him.

Suddenly, I hear Abigail's voice in a room, so I open it, only to find her and Dominic kissing.

A/N
🫢