22 | An Unexpected Invitation

❦ 𝐆 𝐈 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀

A week passed since everything with Dominic's family. I've been avoiding him, grappling with his unexpected confession of love.

I thought we were going to stay friends.

I spent the whole morning contemplating what I'd say the next time I see Dominic.

"Gianna!" My mom calls out as I start putting on my makeup, interrupting my thoughts. I decided to meet up with Jazz today.

I open my bedroom door and walk to her where she's sitting in the living room. "Yes, Manman?"

"You got a mail," she tells me, handing me an envelope. I take it from her.

I return to my room, and once the door is closed, I open it. There's a letter inside!

Delighted to extend an invitation to the Christmas Gala hosted by the Morrettis! Your exclusive ticket is enclosed in this festive envelope. Join us for an enchanting night of holiday magic, sparkling decor, and joyful celebrations. We are looking forward to seeing you at the Christmas Gala!

Ps: Can't wait to see you there. - Dominic.

Am I going to go?

I'm not sure it's a good idea.

I shake my head, finishing my makeup with a sense of hesitation, and take one last look in the mirror.

Opening my bedroom door again, my mom asks, "You're going out?"

"Yeah, I'll be back soon," I tell her, the decision lingering in my thoughts.

About twenty minutes later, I reach the cafe for our meeting, and I find Jasmine already seated at the table. "Hey Gigi," she greets, rising to hug me. "Hey Jazz," I smile warmly, returning the embrace.

Then we take our seats, and I excitedly exclaim, "You got my favorite!" as she gently slides the glazed donuts towards me. The glazed donut on the plate looks golden and sweet, with an inviting scent.

"Yeah I remember how you used to eat them every day back when we were in middle school," Jazz says, a nostalgic smile playing on her lips as we reminisce about our middle school moments.

"I don't have them every day now, but I still love it," I confess, appreciating the connection between past and present.

"Tell me, did I miss? I want to know everything." Jasmine leans in, her hands supporting her chin.

"Well, I'm currently in nursing school. I had a boyfriend for a while, and then we broke up."

"Dominic?"

"No, I had another boyfriend before him. Also, Dominic and I aren't really dating," I explain, hesitating as the weight of the untruth lingers in the air. I never lied to Jasmine when we were best friends, and the fact that I have been doing so lately has been haunting me.

"What? That can't be true. You guys looked like you were in love when I saw you," she remarks with a puzzled expression.

"That's the thing. Our 'relationship' started off really weird, and now I just don't know if we can ever have a relationship after all that. I even tried being friends with him, but we could never act like friends," I confess, a hint of uncertainty in my voice.

"Gianna, I've known you for half of your life. You just need to give love a chance for once. I get it, you're scared. I was scared too, and that's why I never told John. We almost never got together. Do you believe in fate?" Jasmine says, her words filled with sincerity.

"I think I do. I have tried quitting nursing school a few times before. But there's something keeping me here. And in other aspects of my life too, even with Dominic. With Dominic, it's different, way beyond what I've felt before. I can't believe I used to think I was in love with Zane. Now I've realized I was just young. Back then, I didn't even know what love was; Zane was just there. Dominic is always in my thoughts. Each time our eyes meet, I find myself anticipating our next encounter. He has this way of making my problems vanish, creating moments where nothing else matters. He's my escape from all the pain and problems life comes with. My scariest thought is losing my shot at love because I let fear hold me back." I open up, my vulnerability shining through my words.

"See. You like him too." She smiles at me.

"I think it might be more than that." I whisper, my words carrying a newfound warmth.

"I'm so happy for you." Jasmine's eyes sparkle with genuine joy.

"Thank you. He invited me to a gala his family's hosting," I suddenly say, my heart racing with excitement.

"Are you going to go?" She asks, curiosity in her tone.

"Should I?" I reply, uncertainty lacing my words.

"Um, yes!" Jazz answers, a spark of enthusiasm evident in her voice.

"I have nothing to wear," I admit.

"We can fix that," she winks before getting up and grabbing my arm, leading me out.

"Where are we going?" I ask as she drags me outside. I laugh at how fast she's walking; I can barely keep up.

"We're going to find you a dress, and then you're going to get your man."

"Okay," I respond as she leads me to her car.