Kinslaying

[King's Landing - Red Keep, Small Council Chamber]

Morgana was once again fulfilling her duty as cupbearer. Only, this time, her father was actually present.

"The whοre is pregnant." Robert spoke plainly.

"You're speaking of murdering a child." His Hand, Ned Stark, replied.

"I warned you this would happen. Back in the North, I warned you, but you didn't care to hear. Well, hear it now. I want 'em dead, mother and child both -- and that fool, Viserys as well. Is that plain enough for you? I want them both dead."

"You will dishonour yourself forevr if you do this."

"Honour?! I've got Seven Kingdoms to rule! One King, Seven Kingdoms. Do you think honour keeps them in line? Do you think it's honour that's keeping the peace? It's fear -fear and blood."

"Then we're no better than the Mad King." Ned told them.

"Careful, Ned. Careful now." Robert warned.

"You want to assassinate a girl ... because the Spider heard a rumour?"

"No rumor, My Lord. The princess is with child."

"Based on whose information?"

"Ser Jorah Mormont. He is serving as adviser to the Targaryens." Varys told him.

"Mormont? You bring us the whispers of a traitor half a world away and call it fact?"

"Jorah Mormont's a slaver, not a traitor. Small difference, I know, to an honorable man." Littlefinger chimed in.

"He broke the law, betrayed his family, fled our land. We commit murder on the word of this man?"

"And if he's right? If she has a son? A Targaryen at the head of a Dothraki army ...What then?" Robert asked.

"The Narrow Sea still lies between us. I'll fear the Dothraki the day they teach their horses to run on water." Ned told him.

"Do nothing? That's your wise advice? Do nothing till our enemies are on our shores? You're my council. Counsel! Speak sense to this honorable fool."

"I understand your misgivings, My Lord. Truly, I do. It is a terrible thing we must consider, a vile thing. Yet, we who presume to rule must sometimes do vile things for the good of the realm. Should the gods grant Daenerys a son, the realm will bleed."

"I bear this girl no ill will, but should the Dothraki invade, how many innocents will die? How many towns will burn? Is it not wiser, kinder even, that she should die now so that tens of thousands might live?" Maestar Pycelle noted.

"We should have had them both killed years ago." Renly commented.

"When you find yourself in bed with an ugly woman, best close your eyes, get it over with. Cut her throat. Be done with it." Varys rolled his eyes at Littlefinger's comment.

"I followed you into war - twice - without doubts, without second thoughts. But I will not follow you now. The Robert I grew up with didn't tremble at the shadow of an unborn child."

"She dies."

"I will have no part in it."

"You're the King's Hand, Lord Stark. You'll do as I command or I'll find me a hand who will."

Ned removed the pin signifying his position as Hand of the King and tossed it onto the table in front of King Robert.

"And good luck to him. I thought you were a better man."

"Out! Out, damn you! I'm done with you." Ned gave King Robert a slight nod, then turned and left. "Go! Run back to Winterfell! I'll have your head on a spike! I'll put it there myself, you fool! You think you're too good for this? Too proud and honorable? This is a war!"

"How can this child be your enemy?" Morgana asked her father. "She is a child, the same as me."

"She is a Targaryen."

"Is that such a crime?"

"His kind would see me dead and this kingdom returned to anarchy and you would help them."

"What have she done to you? Why are you so full of hate? She is not Rhaegar!"

Morgana mqrched towards him, grabbing his arm. Her father spun around, grabbed her throat and pressed her against a chair back.

"Enough! I will not hear another word! Do not speak to me until you are ready to apologise for what you've done."

He let go of her neck and stormed out.

The remaining small council members were silent. Morgana simply fixed the skirts of her dress and exited, not bothering to look at any of the men.

[Red Keep - Ned Stark's chambers]

Ned was quickly packing his belongings when Jory entered his room.

"I'll go ahead with my daughters. Get them ready. Do it yourself. Don't ask anyone for help."

"Right away, My Lord. Lord Baelish (Littlefinger) is here for you."

"His Grace went on about you at some length after you took your leave. The word "treason" was mentioned."

"What can I do for you?"

"When do you return to Winterfell?"

"Why? What do you care?"

"If you're still here come nightfall, I'll take you to see the last person Jon Arryn spoke with before falling ill. If that sort of thing still interests you."

"I don't have the time."

"It won't take more than an hour. But as you please." Littlefinger turned and walked out into the hall, but he didn't get very far before Ned grabbed his sword and gave Jory some last orders before joining him.

"Round up all the men we have and station them outside the girls' chambers. Who are your best two swords?"

"Heward and Wyl."

"Find them and meet me at the stables."