Freys

[Riverrun - Great Hall]

King Robb Stark, Lady Catelyn Stark, Brynden "Blackfish" Tully, Lord Edmure Tully, "Black Walder" Rivers, and Lothar Frey sat around a large table.

"Thank you for riding here so quickly. I know travel isn't easy in these times." Robb acknowledged.

"The roads are crawling with cutthroats and bandits. But when the King of the North summons us, we come." Black Walder responded.

"Our father has instructed us to tell you that his alliance with the North can continue if his terms are met. Lord Frey requires a formal apology for your refusal to marry one of his daughters." Lothar continued.

"Of course. He deserves as much. I was in the wrong."

"As restitution for this betrayal, he demands Harrenhal and all its attendant lands." Black Walder told them.

"I don't think that's-" Edmure attempted to refuse.

"We are fighting for the North. Harrenhal is not in the North. It is his once the war is over and we have no further strategic need for it." Robb cut him off.

"And there's something else." Black Walder continued.

"We will do whatever we can to give Lord Frey what he needs."

"Not what, whom." Black Walder looked at Edmure.

"What?"

Brynden, Robb, and Lothar also stared at Edmure.

"No." Edmure chuckled, nervously.

"Our father requires Lord Edmure to wed one of his daughters- Roslin." Lothar clarified.

"How old is she?" Edmure asked.

"Nineteen."

"Could I see her first?"

"You want to count her teeth?" Black Walder Frey quipped. "We depart for the Twins in the morning. We need an answer before we leave and a wedding not more than a fortnight thereafter or this alliance is at an end."

"Your father does realize we're in the middle of a war?" Brynden asked, sternly.

"Father is old. It will put his heart at peace if he could see her wed to a good husband." Lothar regarded.

"And his recent experience has made him wary of long engagements." Black Walder added.

"He has every right to be." Robb agreed. "Please excuse us while we discuss it."

Lothar and Black Walder took their leave.

"Why should I let that old ferret choose my bride for me? At the very least, I should be offered the same choice you were. I'm his liege lord." Edmure rose to his feet.

"He's a proud man and we've wounded him."

"I didn't wound him. My answer is no."

Brynden stood and walked over to his nephew, Edmure. "Listen to me and listen very carefully. You-"

"The laws of gods and men are very clear. No man can compel another man to marry."

"The laws of my fist are about to compel your teeth."

"It's all right. You heard him. If you refuse, our alliance with the Freys is dead." Robb told his uncle.

Brynden sat.

"He's wanted me for one of his daughters since I was twelve. He's not gonna stop wanting it now. When I say no, he will come back and offer me a daughter of my choosing."