Sept of Baelor

[King's Landing - Red Keep, Black Cells]

Ned was still imprisoned. For how long he had lost count.

A light was seen nearby and appeared to be getting closer. Ned looked up when the light was right by him.

It was once again Varys, who was again holding a torch.

"You've seen better das, my lord."

"Another visit? lt seems you're my last friend."

"No, no, many still love you."

Varys once again had the skin of water. Ned took it. As he started to drink from it, Varys pulled down his hood.

"Sansa came to court this morning to plead for your life."

There was a pause as Ned continued to drink from the skin.

"On her knees begging for me. Hm....did you laugh with the others?"

"You do me wrong, my lord; your blood is the last thing l want."

"l don't know what you want. I've given up trying to guess." Ned said, annoyed and frustrated.

He took a drink from the skin while Varys thought for a moment about what to say next.

"When I was still a boy - before they cut my balls off with a hot knife - I traveled with a group of actors through the Free Cities. They taught me that each man has a role to play. The same is true at court. I am the Master of Whisperers. My role is to be sly, obsequious and without scruples." He grinned sheepishly and shrugged. "I'm a good actor, my lord."

"Huh. Can you free me from this pit?" Ned asked, with an air of false hope.

"I could..." He looked around the dungeon. "But will I? No." This caused Ned to laugh sarcastically. "As I said, I'm no hero."

"What do you want? Tell me. No riddles, no stories - tell me, what do you want?"

Varys knelt down beside him. "Peace." Ned looked at him skeptical. "Did you know that your son is marching south with an army of northmen? Loyal lad, fighting for his father's freedom."

"Robb? He's just a boy..." He looked away, worried.

"Boys have been conquerors before. But the man giving Cersei sleepless nights is the king's - the late king's brother." Ned looked back at Varys. "Lord Stannis has the best claim to throne. He is a proven battle commander and he is utterly without mercy."

"Stannis Baratheon is Robert's true heir. The throne is his by rights. We both know Princess Aelinor was Robert's only trueborn child; a girl. We all know what happened the last time a woman attempted to sit the Iron Throne."

Varys stood again. "Sansa pleaded so sweetly for your life; it would be such a shame to throw it away. Cersei is no fool. She knows a tame wolf is more use to her than a dead one."

"You want me to serve the woman who murdered my king, who butchered my men, who crippled my son!?"

"I want you to serve the realm!" Varys yelled.

Ned still looked furious.

"Tell the queen you will confess your vile treason, tell your son to lay down his sword and proclaim Joffrey as the true heir!"

Ned looked away, still upset, causing Varys to crouch back down.

"Cersei knows you as a man of honor. If you give her the peace she needs, and promise to carry her secret to your grave, I believe she will allow you to take the black and live out your days on the Wall with your brother and your bastard son."