Fairy Entertaining // Chapter Eight

So, who WAS Chris, for real?

The fairies of Fensteria referred to him as a bit of an urban legend ... an elemental wizard that "guarded" their colony. They even believed him to be Christophecles, the great wizard from an old fairy prophesy written long ago. It was once said that when the fairy race were in danger of extinction, a great wizard able to control fire, wind, ice and electricity would save them from great evil and foster peace once more. Would this make his appearance a bad thing? Did his existence, assuming this WAS the grand wizard signal a dark time to come?

For now, Chris was a well meaning, goofy and fledgling 20 year old boy who attended Miniborough University alongside the likes of Lexi, Leah, Josh, Trent and others. He got consistently good grades, played video games on the weekends and when he wasn't doing those things, well he could often be found in the confines of Fenster Forest practicing his magic.

From a young age, Chris noticed he could do certain things most kids his age weren't doing. For example, when receiving a static shock from shuffling on a carpet and touching a doorknob, a normal and mundanely human thing to do, he'd experience something much more significant. It was as if he could control the lightning, as tiny as it was and redirect it. He later discovered a similar talent for fire when trying to start one at a friends bonfire one night.

Knowing something was up, he'd vigorously research the topic and learn about the history and mythology of elemental magic. He dared not tell his parents nor his friends, lest they find him crazy but sure enough through months, almost years of practice he had come to produce some miraculous results, being able to morph water to his will and turn it into icicle style projectiles. He could also redirect fire, electricity and to a degree change weather patterns like wind and rain. Much like other skills and hobbies in his life though, it wasn't perfect. He still struggled from time to time and he cursed himself still for letting the mysterious "dark lady" get away that fateful night after she torched the poor fair colony.

How had young Chris discovered the fairy colony buried deep within the woods?

That event took place about a year ago, after a particularly bad day for Chris. It was just after his high school graduation and he found out his girlfriend Sarah was moving away, effectively ending things for the new couple who had been together only a few months. He took it especially hard and he knew when he became emotional, his magic could cause truly frightening reactions, such as sparks or dangerous embers being drawn to him. Rather than risk his friends or anyone else's safety he sought sanctuary in the woods that had always kept him company on those dark nights.

He'd venture deep into the woods, maybe deeper than he had before, past the familiar trees and paths and even past the sparkling lake where most would stop to fish during the summer. Instead he would keep going to a place with no path but he saw something quite peculiar that night. A field of fireflies. Lots of them. Turning back, he decided maybe he stumbled onto something he wasn't suppose to see.

He instead focused on the empty clearing just beyond that, determined to let off some steam ... literally. His hands sizzled and he steadied himself carefully as he gently lofted a stream of fire from his fingertips. As dangerous as it seemed to most, he found it strangely calming.

Who didn't find it so calming was the fairy colony of Fenstaria who could see the large billowing flame from a distance. It sparkled out as shortly as it had started, so most of them hoped it was just a one time thing. A curious Spark though, had wanted to investigate and she'd end up breaking her own rule that night, flying well outside the colony to get a better look at this fire wielding human.

From behind a collection of long growing stalks, she'd watch as the boy experimented with icicles, lightning, and fire, her eyes wide as she remembered the old stories and history class. Was he ... the grand wizard? No way ... he looked too young, and too reckless. Why would he be simply out in the open firing off magic spells?