Chapter 14

I felt like what he said should've invoked more of a reaction from me, but thankfully Eden didn't really know how to react either.

    "And what does that mean, exactly?" She asked him with a confused look.
    Frustration overtook his face and he said "What do you mean, what does that mean? I've talked to you many times about this kinda stuff. You really don't pay attention to me sometimes, you know!" He argued at her

   "Right now!? You really wanna do this right now? Look, sometimes I zone out, and you know I'm not good at remembering stuff sometimes, so please, please just jog my memory, baby" she said and put her hand on his cheek, gently rubbing it.

     I could see the anger leave him before taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry. Well, when Mother Nature gave us all our powers, she gave us all a piece of her essence, a piece of her soul, and that was what gave us the abilities. So I'm not entirely sure, but I'd have to think that if I ate this, then I'd get double what I've already got, or if someone else, consumed this, they'd receive the same. Just a theory, though."

    As I listened to him explain what it meant, I couldn't believe it. All of that power inside such a small vessel. And anyone could have it? That's insane.
    David stood up, using the wall as a crutch, clutching at his side before almost falling back down, as Eden caught him and put his arm over her shoulder. "Come on, baby. Let's get you back home so you can rest. Say bye to Carly"

   He groaned in pain and sluggishly said "Fuck me, everything hurts. Hey, you did great today, kid. Come see me in a few days, I'm gonna need some time to myself." "Try saying that to the kids, I'm sure they'll love it." He halfway laughed before moaning out in pain and grabbing at his side again. She helped him out and I was alone again. "Kid? I'm older than him, I'm sure. After today, I think I could use a rest too. First thing I'll do is take a shower."

     I hopped up and made my way to the bathroom and after washing my day off, I stepped out and wiped the steam from the mirror, looking myself over and took a deep breath. I'm still so sore and exhausted. I looked over at the tub and it hit me. Why not take a bath? I'm clean now, so I won't be sitting in my filth. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

      As I filled the tub up, I sat on the edge and ran my hand through the water, while my mind wandered. This world is complex. Hell, it was hard to understand before all of this shit happened. Now it's just like a cluster fuck. There were already so many mysteries, then apparently some deity comes and rips us a new one. Great. I'll be honest, I still don't really get what the fuck is going on, and I doubt I will. But fuck it, enough of that for now, I'm trying to destress.

    The tub was ready now, so I slowly sunk down, covering myself, and leaning back. I could feel the day melting away, allowing me to actually relax for once. I let my mind wander and thoughts of Rico took over.

     "Hey, scood back you giant. Ow, watch where you're poking that thing." I finally convinced him to take a bath with me, and now we're having a bit of difficultly
     "Carly I told you this was a bad idea, I'm too damn big for tubs" His deep grizzled voice argued back at me
    "Oh hush. It's gonna be romantic as fuck, as soon as we get this right." I barked back at him
      "Okay, okay. Here, let me put it like this. Alright, now scood back. There we go. How's that?"
    I leaned back and and let out a sigh of relief, laying my head on his chest "Feels like heaven, you big oaf. You okay?"
    "Well I'm here with the love of my life, so I'd say I'm doing pretty damn good."
    I lightly laughed at his comment and said "Careful Casanova. I might fall in love with you."

    Those were the days. I used to stress because I had no idea what I was gonna do with my life. If only I had known what was to come. Well, I'm making the best of it now. As I layed back in the tub I ended up drifting off. A knock at my door caused me to jump out of my sleep. For some reason it sounded like someone was pounding right inside of my head.

    "What!? I'm up, I'm up. I swear" I looked around and again heard a knock at the door, realising that was what woke me, and got out, wrapping a towel around me, and checking to see who was there. I looked through the peephole and saw Toro. I'm still dripping wet from the abrupt end to my bath, but I'll let him in and go dry off.

  When I opened the door he saw me and adverted his eyes, embarrassed, and nervously covering his eyes
   "Oh. I'm uh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were busy. I'll come back later."
    "No, it's fine. You can come in. Just give me a minute to dry off and get dressed." I said as I welcomed him in and walked towards my room
    "Alright. I'll just be here. Waiting. Unless you need help." He said the last part under his breath so I didn't hear him

   "What'd you say?" I asked, peakingmy head out past the door
"Huh? Oh, I said I'm gonna inspect your shelves  The kitchen shelves." He replied and nervously laughed.
   I just looked at him for a moment and walked in my room, drying off, moisturizing, and putting on a simple outfit.

    When I walked back out, Toro was waiting on the couch, head back staring at the ceiling.
   "How were those shelves?" I jokingly asked. His head snapped up and he said
    "Huh!? Oh, the shelves? They're great, great shelves. Must be oak or something. Can definitely put a fuck load of cans up there."

    I sat next to him, crossing my legs "Uh huh. I'm sure. So what's up, how can I help yah?"
    "No help needed, my friend. Just coming to check up on you. Crazy day. Although, now that I sit back and really think about it, you've undoubtedly seen as much, if not more than the other Elites. You were on the outside a long time."

     Silence filled the air, as my mind drifted off, thinking about my days outside, while Toro just stared at me.
     About ten or fifteen seconds passed before he asked "You hungry?"
     I honestly haven't even thought about food since everything transpired, but the mention of it reminded my stomach that we needed our fill. A harrowing growl erupted from my stomach and at that point I couldn't deny it, even if I wanted to.

    "Eh, maybe a little bit." I replied. Toro laughed before standing up and stretching "You wait here. I'll get us something to eat. Alright?"  He said with a soft smile. I stared at him for a second and smiled back
   "Yeah. Sounds like a plan." "Awesome. I'll be back." He said and headed out. I stretched out on the couch and couldn't help but to lightly laugh "He's pretty cool, can't lie." As I layed there, my head on a pillow I ended up drifting off again.

     Didn't last too long before Toro was back, two bags in hand "I'm letting myself in. Are you decent?" He playfully asked as he walked in and set the bags on the table in front of us

   "Vinny's for the win. Got spaghetti, lasagna, a few cannolis, chocolate chip, and sweet potato, and a tiramisu. I got that one for myself, but I'll gladly share if you'd like." He said with a sly smile

     "Well aren't you a gentleman? Thank you, I think I'll take you up on that. Dessert last, though. Let's eat!" I excitedly said and hopped up, getting some plates from the kitchen to eat on.