unease

Spanish GP

Charles Leclerc

Carlos and I flew together from Monaco straight here. The second we walked into the hotel, I threw myself onto a couch in the lobby because Carlos did say he would check me in as well. He really is a good teammate, and not just on track. It's nice that we actually like each other off camera and don't just pretend for the fans.

I hear him raising his voice in Spanish and even though I can't understand what he's saying, I can tell it's not good. He walks over to me, clearly annoyed.

"They overbooked the hotel so I hope it's okay with you that we are sharing a room. It's stupid since the team booked it correctly, I checked. The hotel fucked it up."

"Carlos, mate, relax it's okay. We don't hate each other unless there's something I don't know about, it's all good. I'm going to fall asleep in 2 seconds anyways."

"Yeah, you're right I'm just tired." He turns to the reception lady and thanks her quickly before we split up from the team and go to our room. The good thing is, it's quite a large room so we won't have an issue with space. I sense Carlos visibly relaxing when he sees what we're working with.

I go to shower quickly so I can sleep, I'm fucking exhausted. As I'm finishing up in the bathroom, I hear Carlos on the phone with someone.

"Cariño, it's okay. I could never be mad at you for that."

Silence for a few seconds.

"Yes of course. You're never going to believe this but Charles and I are also sharing a room please don't ask why but we will find a way, don't worry." He must get off the phone because I don't hear him say anything afterwards.

I step out of the bathroom and look at Carlos with a knowing smile. We both know I figured out who he was on the phone with the second we make eye contact.

"So... how's Lando?" I ask him.

"Really good. We just talked things through, I'm gonna try to spend some time alone with him this weekend, but crazily enough him and Oscar got stuck in the same room too at another hotel."

"So you're telling me at this rate Nico and Kevin are in the same room too? That would go real well, I can already see it." We all know the 'suck my balls, mate' quote from Kevin so that would actually be really funny.

Carlos smiles. "Maybe sharing a room with you isn't so bad."

"Mate, you have 0 trust. I don't make a mess, I'm a nice person, and I've been told I don't snore in my sleep so I don't know what you have to complain about."

"Anyways, how are things between you and Max?"

I feel my cheeks heat up and for sure they're red.

"Yeah... we're good..."

Carlos looks at me and I can tell he knows. "I won't tell anyone, I mean you know about me and Lando so whatever we talk about stays between us."

My cheeks get even hotter and probably redder. I didn't even think that was possible, but they do.

"Yeah, I don't even know what we are to each other since we never really spoke about it but we've kissed... and we had a good night last Saturday before the race."

"Charles, first thing's first I saw that coming from a mile away. And neither of you were walking funny the next day so it wasn't obvious, don't worry. And no, I don't want to know which one of you I should have suspected to be walking weirdly."

I almost choke on the water that I'm drinking.

"I'm going to sleep." I say as I side eye him.

"Whatever you say."