uncovered

Belgian GP

Max Verstappen

Rage.

The only emotion I could process when I found myself staring at that fucker himself. The man who had caused Charles, my Charles, so much trauma.

My body had reacted on instinct, knocking him out cold before screaming for help since I had no idea what had happened to Charles. My heart was pounding, praying that it wasn't bad.

But in my heart, I knew it was.

They tried to tell me I couldn't go to the hospital with him, and I told them to fuck off. He didn't have family there and I made sure that it was well known I was the only reason he was being rushed to the hospital.

Seeing him unconscious, heart barely beating, and so beyond weak, it tore my heart out. And yet, I had to stay strong, put on a brave face, and most importantly be there for Charles because he needed it more than ever.

More than a full 24 hours later, his eyes finally fluttered open. My heart started to beat again for the first time in a day. He couldn't understand where he was and why he was hooked up to so many machines. All I could do was stay with him and make sure he knew that he would be ok.

So I did.

We were then told that I was the sole reason he was still alive.

The medical team in Hungary had also been critical in keeping Charles alive. It was confirmed he almost died from a fucking overdose on... something.

Eliot had tried to fucking kill him.

It had taken a couple days, but they finally said Charles could leave the hospital and I refused to leave his side. They said there was no way he could race, but I was just happy I wouldn't have to separate from him.

I feel much better with him sitting in our hotel room, sipping the coffee he had been craving the whole day. A slight smile on his face, his eyes showing the exhaustion from all that had gone on.

"How do you feel, my love?" I say as I sit next to him in bed and wrap my arms around him.

"Better each day, just tired."

"No headache or anything? They told me it was normal if you felt a little sick or dizzy for the next few days."

"I was a little dizzy on the plane earlier but besides that I've been fine, I already took the medicine they gave me today."

"Tell me if you need anything."

He rests his head on my shoulder and I can't help but wonder how I got so lucky. Lucky that someone as beautiful as him would love me back and lucky that he survived the hell that Eliot tried to put him through.

We sit in silence for a few minutes, at one point I reach for his hand and interlace our fingers. I need him to know that I've got him and that I will always keep him safe.

"Max?"

"Yes Charlie?"

"Please promise you won't leave me again."

"I won't. I'm yours forever," I say before planting a few soft kisses on his shoulder and neck.

He sighs gently and tips his head to the side, silently asking for more. And really, who am I to deny him?

We spend the night wrapped up in each other's arms, forgetting the past week and the rest of the world.

~

"Charlie, are you coming to the paddock for practice today?" I yell towards the bathroom where he is acting like I have 10 hours before free practice. I don't.