precipice

Hungarian GP

Charles Leclerc

Okay so is anyone going to explain why Max willingly offers to share a room with me and give me a ride home last race?

Anyone?

He was absolutely right though, Eliot had made it very clear on all his social media profiles that he was out for blood. I find it amazing that he has been posting everywhere, you would think he would want to be more secretive but I think he knows he's just that powerful that he can let everyone know what he is doing and where he is and no one will be able to stop him.

I need to figure out what the hell Max wants from me because at this point the messages are so confusing. First he says he doesn't want to see me alone, then HE shows up at my hotel room door, and then yeah essentially spends the rest of the weekend with me.

I'm not complaining, it's just... weird. I mean I know he still cares for me but it seemed really strange that he booked us in the same hotel room and then flies me back to Monaco when he knows full well I could arrange for my own jet. And he didn't just ask, he insisted upon it.

We get out of the car after the first practice and the paddock is strangely peaceful, only the sounds from the car engines of other teams. There's no yelling, no commotion, it actually provides for a moment to just breathe.

After all that's gone on, I could use a few of those moments every now and then.

I end up staying in the garage and analyzing data with the team since it's always a good use of time and I frankly don't have anywhere better to be. I actually like our pit crew and mechanics so when I get a free moment I like to spend some time with them since their work is not appreciated the way it should be. They're not TRYING to have slow pitstops, they are doing their best.

"By the way, has anyone seen Fred?" one of the mechanics asks.

"No... wasn't he at the pit wall for practice this morning?" another says.

"No he was never here." That takes me completely by surprise, Fred never misses a session.

"I will text him," I say. "It's not normal that he wasn't here."

I mean, I suppose it was only a practice, but even then it's really strange since he is supposed to be at every session and he usually is.

About 20 minutes later, both Fred and Carlos show up at around the same time. It still doesn't explain Fred's absence seeing as Carlos was certainly here and in the car for practice, but at least they're both here now. Carlos pulls me aside, clearly mad. Hopefully I didn't do anything wrong, I can't think of what it would be.

"Charles, don't ever tell Ferrari about your relationship with Max," Carlos whispers under his breath so no one hears. He is seething.

"But why?"

"Fred just pulled me aside since he says there have been rumors of me and Lando being together, and then basically said that I can't drive for Ferrari and at the same time be in a relationship with a man, much less a driver on a rival team. I denied everything and texted Lando just now to do the same if he is asked but this team is fucking homophobic and it sucks. We have been nothing but loyal and this is how they try to repay us."

Oh... well, shit.

"Yeah I won't say anything and I wasn't planning on it because... Jos Verstappen," I reply. "But honestly, I am not surprised at all."

"You're not, why?"

"Ferrari is an old team and is very rooted in their traditions. And Formula One hasn't always been the most inclusive of sports, there was no openly gay driver before me on the paddock and Lewis made huge leaps for people of color in the sport. So I'm not surprised that Ferrari doesn't want any more gay relationship drama. I think they were willing to give it a chance with me but then now with all this Eliot drama it would explain why they are closed off to it."