Chapter 12

October 17th 2023
-
Sophia's POV

Today is Marshall's 51st birthday and although I haven't spoken to him since the kiss two days ago, I think it's important that we go and see him today.

I don't know why I kissed him. It's like somehow after all the years of pain my body just forgets what he did to me, what he did to Ava. I still love him, I can't deny that.

Ava told him she loved him the other day and I felt so guilty for making her leave after that but I couldn't face him, I'd just kissed him.

I get pulled out of my thoughts by the little bullet that is Ava bursting through the door.

"Can we go see daddy, yet?"

"Later."

"Please. Pretty please, mommy." She begs with her hands together and the same piercing blue eyes as her dad.

"Fine. If anyone's there though we have to go back later, ok?"

"Thank you."

She runs off presumably to put her shoes and coat on whilst I head into my closet to grab his gift.

It was really short notice with him only entering our lives again a few days back but I, alongside Ava made a photo book

It was really short notice with him only entering our lives again a few days back but I, alongside Ava made a photo book. I stuck on the only picture there is of them both. I secretly took it the first time they met.

I hope that over the coming years they can fill it with various photo's and stories of things they do together.

I know Marshall will appreciate it. He always loved the more simple, cheap gifts. He says they tend to hold more meaning than gold and diamonds. I can't disagree.

"MOM." I hear Ava should up to me. She has her dads lack of patience that's for sure.

I stuff the album into a gift bag and head downstairs where Ava holds out my car keys.

"Impatient much, huh?" I say as I take the keys from her and head outside.

"I want to see daddy."

She says as she hurries over to get in the car and climbs into her car seat. I lock the front door and place the gift bag on the passenger seat.

It's only a short drive to Marshall's and we get through the gates of his community with ease because he'd had us put on the security list and most of the same security still worked there from the short period I lived with him so they also recognise me.

We pull through the gates of his house and onto the driveway and I'm relived to see no unfamiliar cars on the drive, he must be alone.

I help Ava out of the car and hand her the gift bag. She runs ahead of my and rings the doorbell as I now stand behind her.

I hear the lock click and the door is pulled open revealing a rather confused looking Marshall who's face softens when he realises it's us.

"SURPRISE DADDY." Ava shouts as she drops the bag and jumps into his arms. I'm so glad I didn't get anything fragile, it would have surely just broken.

"What you doing here, huh?" He smiles at her.

"It's your birthday and you're my daddy so I had to come see you." Ava explains. "I'm gonna get the cookies." She says as she struggles from his grip and runs towards the kitchen.

I bend to pick up the present and hand him the bag.

"Happy Birthday old guy." I say and offer him a small smile.

"Who you calling old guy?"

"I wish I could figure out exactly how old you are but I hate long math. Anyway, in dog years you're dead." I say as I smack his chest and walk in past him.

I hear him chuckle and without even turning around I already know I'm getting the infamous middle finger.

"Don't worry, come in. Make yourself at home." He laughs as he watches me discard my jacket on his hallway floor, something I used to do when I lived here because I knew how much it pissed him off.

We head to sit in the living room where Ava is sitting eating her cookie.

"Open your present daddy."

Marshall reaches in the bag and pulls the book out. He stares at it for a second before the corner of his mouth curls into a smile.

"It's for us to fill with things we do. Do you like it?"

"I love it baby. Thank you." He says as he pulls Ava into a side hug.

"Can I go watch a movie in the cinema room?"

"Sure."

"I'll come with you Ave." I offer.

"We'll join you in a minute Ave. Me and mom need to talk." I get a sinking feeling, this can't be good.

She nods and runs back out the room.

"Is this when we met?" He asks me, when he knows she's out of earshot, refering to the photo album.

"Mhm. It felt wrong not to take anything."

"It's sweet. Thank you."

"What was it you wanted to talk about?"

"The kiss."...

A/N - another chapter will be out tomorrow.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕