Chapter 37

October 27th 2023
-
Sophia's POV

Jackie comes into the room carrying flowers and chocolates, she places them on the end of my bed and without a single word leaves the room again.

I reach for them, my pain now thankfully starting to subside, although still there.

I notice a card sticking out the top of the flowers and grab it, tearing it open to reveal the card inside.

Sophia,

I can't help but think you'll never forgive me, not fully anyway.
I love and care for you in a way I never thought possible and as hard as it may be to believe it after everything I've done, I would do anything for you.
Whether that be to make you happy or keep you safe.
The interview I'm going to do will hopefully prove to you just how desperate I am to make this right.

I've never regretted anything in life more than the day I kicked you out.
I had the ring for weeks before you told me you were pregnant and I wish I hadn't waited so long, maybe that would have been what I needed to stay.

I feel like I'm repeating myself but the truth is I'm lost with what to say or do to make this right.

That first night I spent with you and Ava, I felt like my life was finally complete.
I felt a sense of belonging that I never felt before, I don't know what it was but it felt so different to the girls childhoods.

Its gonna sound so rushed but there was a part of me that wanted to propose when you kissed me.
I nearly did.
If you hadn't of left, I'd of proposed.

I don't want to rush this, I want to do it right.
I want our little family.
There was a time that I never wanted marriage, kids and you somehow changed that.

I say that I don't want to rush this but if you were to ask, I'd go to the courthouse this second and marry you.
I'm so, so thankful that you gave me Ava, even though I've been the shittest father.
I promise I'll make up for that.

I guess you were right, I do ramble when I'm nervous, I've written you an essay.

This is just a really long winded way of asking you to give me another shot.
I know you kind of agreed to it the other day but like I said, I'm doing it the right way this time.

I love you Soph,
Marshall

I smile and carefully stand up, sitting in the wheelchair, still holding the card and pressing the call button for Jackie.

"Sweetheart, what can I do for you?"

"Take me to Marshall? Please?"

"As you wish."

She pushes the door open and leaves myself and the wheelchair at Marshall's bedside.

"You spelt your name wrong." I say as stand from the wheelchair and sit on the edge of his bed.

"Huh?" He takes the card out of my hand. "M-A-R-S-H-A-L-L. That looks right to me?" He spells it out looking utterly confused.

"M-A-R-S-H-M-A-L-L-O-W. Get it right, come on its your own name."

"Not my name."

"Its the least you owe me, coming up with embarrassing nicknames for you."

"Fine." He huffs like a toddler having a tantrum.

"Thank you, the flowers are beautiful."

"Yeah, no problem. You know when you can get out of here yet?"

"Hopefully soon but they haven't said. You?"

"Tomorrow but only if I agree to seeing a therapist."

"That's good, right?" I say, smiling at him.

"I guess."

"You guess?"

"I don't want to see a fucking therapist."

"You should of considered that ten days ago. What's the alternative?"

"Psychiatric unit."

"So you should be happy you're being given a chance with the therapist."

"Fine." He mumbles, rolling his eyes.

"Oh My God. You sound like Ava throwing a tantrum, you're 51, grow up a bit."

"What if I don't want to?" He counters with a smirk.

"I refuse to raise you and Ava. Anyway, I'm going to go and find my doctor, see if she knows when I can go home." I say, sitting in my wheelchair and calling for Jackie.

"Yo, Soph. Right quick, can we clear some shit up? Are we together?"

"We're together. It appears I'll have to settle for having you as a boyfriend until Tom Hardy comes calling." I say, laughing at myself as Jackie pushes the chair out the room.

My laughing ceases as I feel my stitches tear in my lower abdomen and pain overwhelms me until everything goes black...

A/N - can Soph ever catch a break?

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕