Chapter 19

October 23rd 2023
-
Hailie's POV

The sight before me says that this is worse than I could have ever imagined...

There are tubes and wires everywhere, machines constantly beeping and her lifeless body amongst it all.

I slowly walk towards her bed and working around the wires, I take hold of her hand as I sit next to her. I stare at her, still void of any emotion until I become aware of salty tears burning my cheeks.

"You know, she'd be telling you how dumb you are right now if she could." Stevie breaks the silence and chuckles to herself. "What sort of dumb motherfucker wouldn't wear waterproof mascara? To. A. Fucking. Hospital." She makes sure to annunciate every word, still finding herself highly amusing.

That's the thing with us girls.

Stevie uses humor to surpress her real emotions.
Alaina is the voice of mildly frustrated reason.
And I feel nothing until it all comes out like right now.

"Ugh, this is hell." Alaina says dragging her hands down her face. "I need to step out, I'll go get coffee. Does anyone want anything?"

I shake my head no.

"I'll come with." Stevie offers and they both turn and go, leaving just myself and Soph behind.

I hold her hand and cry silently for a little while longer, how could anyone hurt her like this? Especially dad, someone who claims to love her.

"I don't even know if you can hear this but I'm so fucking sorry Soph. For everything." I stop to wipe a few tears away with my hand. When I pull it back, my hand has been blackened with mascara.

"Maybe Stevie was right, huh? You'd be at my throat for not wearing waterproof makeup." I chuckle and internally pray that she can hear this next part.

"I need you to do something for me. Well, maybe not for me but for Ava. Soph she's stuggling, I'm lost. I don't know how to help her." I say, more tears flooding out.

"Please. Wake up Soph. You have to, I lost you once and I refuse to lose you again. Not under these circumstances, not under any. You've got a little girl waiting for you, you've got me, Alaina, Stevie. We can't lose you." I begin to whisper. "Please Soph, just come back to us."

I swear I feel her hand grip mine tighter but maybe its just wishful thinking. I stand and plant a kiss to her forehead.

"I love you. I swear I'll be back whenever they let me."

With that I leave the room, almost walking into Nurse Jackie.

"Ah, Hailie. Just who I was looking for, Sophia's parents and your sisters are waiting with doctor. Are you ready?"

I nod and reluctantly follow her. God I hope Soph's ok...

A/N - the first of two chapters today, the next should be out in a few hours.

This is a short one but the next is longer.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕