Chapter 17

October 17th 2023
-
Marshall's POV

*Warning, this chapter contains themes of domestic abuse.*

"Oh My God." She whispers, clasping her hand over her mouth...

"CAN SOMEBODY CALL ME A FUCKING AMBULANCE?" Nathan yells. "AND CALL PAUL WHILST YOU'RE AT IT, GET HIM OVER HERE!" He carry's on and I see Audrianna dial 911 and Ashley grab her phone presumably to call Paul.

I'm still in an anger clouded rage, still not fully taking in what's happening around me.

Stevie is now crying silently, frozen to the spot. I notice the three other girls walk out, I assume to find out what all the noise is about. As soon as the older two notice Soph, they quickly push Ava back into the living room and close the door on her.

Nathan continues talking to Soph, desperate to wake her but nothing seems to be working. I have no idea what anybody else is doing, my eyes are trained solely on Soph and Nathan and what I wouldn't given to kick or hit her one last time.

What feels like an eternity passes before paramedics rush through the door but in reality it was only a matter of around fifteen minutes.

They pull Nathan away and begin to work on her, shouting out orders to eachother.

I feel myself being dragged down the hallway and into my home studio, it clicks with me that this room is soundproof. Obviously I'm here so the paramedics can't here this conversation.

I turn to see who was dragging me and see Stevie with tears streaming down her face. I try and wrap my arms around her to pull her into a hug, it breaks my heart to see my kids cry.

She pushes me back forcefully. "Don't fucking touch me!" She seethes.

Only now am I snapped out of my daze and the realisation of what I've just done sets in.

I look behind Stevie to see Alaina and Hailie glaring at me, only its not a normal glare. They look like they'd kill me if it wasn't illegal, of course.

"They're taking Soph to the Detroit Medical Centre and Ava's gonna stay with me. Audri, Liam and Carter are entertaining her right now but don't worry, like everyone else in the family, they have no idea they're talking to their little cousin." Hailie says, no emotion in her voice. "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'VE DONE?"

I choose to ignore her question. "Ava is gonna stay with me, she's my daughter."

"And she's our sister. Uncle, you're crazy if you think we're gonna let you be anywhere near Ava right now after what you've just done." Alaina says calmly, her tone does nothing to put me at ease, she'll blow eventually.

"I ASKED YOU A QUESTION MARSHALL! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'VE DONE? THAT'S YOUR DAUGHTERS MOTHER! WHAT DID SHE EVEN DO?" Hailie now screams.

"SHE MADE YOU GUYS HATE ME!" I shout, matching her tone.

"BECAUSE YOU HID OUR SISTER FROM US, YOU KICKED HER OUT WHEN SHE WAS PREGNANT, YOU TOLD HER TO ABORT! THAT'S ONLY HALF THE STORY, THERE IS PROBABLY SO MUCH WE DON'T KNOW!" Hailie continues, I bow my head, I never thought any of my girls had it in them to scream at me like this.

"I DIDN'T EVEN HATE YOU BUT I SURE A HELL DO KNOW!" Stevie joins in, her tears clearly being replaced with anger.

"DID YOU THINK BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF HER WOULD MAKE US HATE YOU LESS?" Alaina adds, stepping forward and slapping me, similar to how Hailie did earlier. I can see her tears threatening to fall but she deny's them, too angry to cry.

Before anyone can say anything else, the door swings open, hitting the wall behind it. A pissed looking Paul power walks in, slams the door behind him and bee lines it towards me. Stopping a few feet away from me, he turns to the girls and nods slightly, acknowledging them.

"Does anyone care to explain why I just saw your ex-girlfriend being wheeled out of here unconsious on a gurney, your five year old daughter crying in the living room, your brother and his family stunned into silence and your hand covered in blood and bruising? What the fuck has happened here?" He states visibly pissed but talking calmly.

"Ava's crying?" Hailie asks.

Paul nods. "Says something about how she knows mom's hurt."

"Excuse me, I have to go be with her." Hailie says hurrying out the room, leaving just myself, Paul, Alaina and Stevie.

"So? Who's gonna tell me what happened?" Paul presses.

"Dad beat Soph up. She won't wake up, what if he's killed her?" Stevie breaks down again and Alaina pulls her close, kissing her forehead.

"Please tell me this is some sick and twisted joke?" Paul asks as he turns to me but as soon as he see's my face, he can tell that everything Stevie said is true.

"I SHOULD KILL YOU MYSELF! YOU BEAT HER UP? DID YOU EVEN CONSIDER WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN TO AVA? WHAT INJURIES SOPHIA MIGHT SUSTAIN? SHE MAY NEVER LET YOU SEE AVA AGAIN! YOUR CHILDREN AND FAMILY MAY NEVER FORGIVE YOU! AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE PRESS GET AHOLD OF THIS!" This is the most I think I've ever pissed Paul off.

I take a second to think over everything he just said and then the image of Soph laying there lifeless and covered in blood flashes through my mind.

What the fuck have I done?...

A/N - I just saw this book is already on 1.59k reads, thank you!

I really appreciate all the love, votes and comments you are all giving this book.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕