Chapter Five

The jog wasn't long enough for Articus and he regretted having to end it when he came to his door. The cool northern air had felt great after his sparring with Waylon.

Upon entering his quarters, he unbuckled his da'kka and tossed it onto the sofa that took up the sitting room. He was already feeling himself at home. Walking into his bedroom, he stopped dead in his tracks.

Mia was sprawled on the ground as if someone had just backhanded her. Her hair fanned out across her face and parts of her body were exposed that shouldn't have been. Articus's eyes climbed up from the woman and found Celia holding Mia's gold crown, anger in her eyes.

Oh no...

Celia turned to Articus but before she could open her mouth, he raced to Mia. Ignoring the feeling of Celia's eyes glaring at him, he knelt before his servant. Closing her robe, he pulled her curly hair back from her face.

She had slapped her.

Anger boiled in him, but he coaxed it out from his voice before he spoke.

"This is my fault. Are you okay?" She only nodded.

He gently took her chin in his hands and turned her head to look at the red hand print--he winced. The woman had slapped her hard and, by the look of it, more than once. Articus turned her head so she could look at him but she averted her eyes.

"You have nothing to be ashamed of," Articus said coldly.

"I caught her stealing. You really should keep an eye on your slave-" Celia began but stopped abruptly when Articus shot up from his crouched position.

"I gave her that crown, you ignorant blueblood!" Articus roared as rage flooded into him unexpectedly. "You have no right barging into my quarters and disciplining my servant. If you so much as lay another finger on her--or refer to her as a slave--I swear by the Gods I will put you on my knee and turn you ass cherry, mentor or not! Do I make my self clear?" the Centurion in him howled.

The woman had the decency to-

Celia paled visibly before anger replaced it. "You did what?!"

Articus didn't have the patience to dignify her with an answer.

"Out!" he roared, pointing to the door.

Mia was wide-eyed by now and looked horrified.

Celia, on the other hand, was as furious as he was. She was about to speak her mind but faltered under Articus's frosty glare. Clamping her mouth shut, she walked out.

After Articus heard the door slam, he turned away from the sitting room and tried to rein in his temper. Noticing Mia for the second time, he stalked over to his saddlebags and pulled out a small jar.

Mia was just getting up when he reached her. "She had no right to hit you." Articus said tightly. Unscrewing the jar he tipped two fingers into it and pulled out a generous amount of the numbing cream. "This will help the sting."

He gently smeared some on her cheek and she winced. After he pulled away, she lowered her head. "I have shamed your house Master."

Oh bloody hell.

Lifting up her chin, he forced her to look him in the eyes and gave her a warm smile.

"Good thing I don't have a house then eh? And what did I tell you about lowering your eyes to me?"

She stiffened and slowly shook her head, wide eyed. "This isn't right, Master."

"Don't be foolish, woman." Articus chided. "I already told you, I am not your Master. You are free from any contracts you signed when Celia bought you. You're a servant to me and a very well paid one at that. You do wish to serve me, don't you?"