Chapter Seventeen

"Again, we are looking for four Darklings this time. One of them is a match for both Tallen and I while the other three are minor Darklings. They were spotted just after sunrise at an inn," Celia said as she checked her mare.

Tallen, who must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, merely glared at Articus and Cedrick--more so at Articus. "When we find them, we will take the leader. You two will be for support only. And try to not get yourself killed."

Articus wouldn't have called it an outright jeer but it was close enough for his ears. Cedrick must have gotten the same impression for his eyes narrowed dangerously on the Reaper.

His friend normally wasn't quick to anger but Articus could see the firers burning. Priscilla was his mentor and Tallen was trying to take her place. While they weren't close, Cedrick still considered Priscilla as his friend.

"Hurry up and change into your new uniforms, and remember your roles," Tallen said, ignoring Cedrick's glares. The word 'role' seemed to have a hidden taunt to it but Articus didn't figure it out until he looked down at the uniforms the Reaper was referring to.

White robes.

Cedrick took a step towards Tallen but Articus held up his hand. Giving him a 'calm-down' look, Articus picked up the robes, handing one to Cedrick.

"Of course, Master," Articus said in a tone that he could see Mia nodding approvingly if she had heard it. He kept his eyes on the man's forehead, a trick masters used to their slaves.

Celia turned her back on the men, hiding her smile while Tallen glared at Articus as they dressed.

Not waiting for them to finish, he strode out the door with a huff.

Just under his breath, Articus said to Celia, "Capture one when he's not looking?"

Being able to sense other human or nonhuman's spirit was much easier than Reaper's tactics at finding Darklings. They didn't know if these were real Darklings or Reapers but they did have the advantage. Celia understood what he meant.

She whispered the same way he had, the closest thing against Reaper's hearing short from a sound ward. "Opportunity." Her eyes darted to Cedrick who was clueless at their conversation.

Eyeing the door as he shrugged into the robes, Articus flashed his hands in soldier's talk. "I see enemy. Interrogate enemy without ally. Distract."

Articus and Cedrick had compared their soldier's hand talk and were surprised at how similar they were. It was funny how their worlds were different but their 'secret' hand talk was almost the same. While hand talk didn't have a full range of words, you normally could get the meaning across. Cedrick raised an eyebrow at Articus in silent surprise--he understood the meaning.

Celia looked between the two men, obviously missing the silent conversation they just had.

Tallen came back in and smiled warmly at Celia. "Well my Roof Mistress, we should get going. I have everything arranged. Coming along you two."

Articus swallowed his pride and started for the door with Ronin in tow.

Tallen held up his hand. "Where do you think your going? First off, you follow your master. Do you want to announce to the Darklings who we are? And secondly, slaves don't ride horses. You walk."

What a royal prick.

Instead of speaking his mind, he quickly unsaddled Ronin and gave him soothing instructions to stay put. Cedrick, who wasn't so confident in his animal, unsaddled and tied up the animal to a ring that had been mounted into the wall. The waiting room was like a hybrid stable, Articus suddenly realized as he spotted the black rings that dotted the dark stoned walls throughout the room.