Chapter Nineteen

Thump

Where am I?

Thump

What is that noise?

Thump

An image flashed before Articus. It was the ceiling of a large structure. Perfectly shaped white squared stone shot forward toward the heavens, forming a slow arc. It was pretty.

Why does this look so familiar?

A frantic looking black haired woman with startling blue eyes looked down at him. He was lying on his back. Now that he thought about it, he could feel hands all around him. Articus couldn't place the name of the woman but she looked familiar. And pretty, and he said so aloud. She smiled, but the worry was still there. Her lips moved but nothing came out.

Thump

Articus was looking up at a different ceiling now and this time a black robed man was in his view. Shadows kept Articus from seeing the man's face and a green glow surrounded him like a mystic armor. It terrified the shit out of Articus.

"Are you the Soul Taker?" Articus whispered.

"No my son. Not today. Rest."

Thump.

Thump.

Somehow his head had been tilted to the side. He saw a redheaded woman in a robe as white as snow, kneeling beside his bed, her head bowed in prayer.

Is she crying?

"Don't cry," Articus murmured. When the beautiful woman looked up, blurry eyes as green as emeralds, he felt himself drift back into blackness.

Thump

Thump

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave." A woman said stubbornly.

"Like hell you are," said a stronger, deeper voice. Obviously male.

"It's fine, General Briar. We can talk to Articus later," another woman said.

Thump

Articus opened his eyes to see Mia feeding him some type of rice cake. Mia, that's her name. Wait, of course that's her name.

He chewed slowly and she forced him to take a drink of water. "Rest now Master. You still aren't strong enough. I will watch over you."

Articus was just getting to his senses when he dozed off again.

Thump

"How is he?" Nina. It was faint and hushed. From the ceiling, Articus could tell it was close to sunset. Or sunrise.

"I don't understand it myself, but he is almost fully healed. Another day and he should be ready for your sparring." Celia said from somewhere near the door, probably in the sitting room.

"He is strong," Mia said. Articus could almost see her smiling. "And stubborn."

"Yes he is," Nina agreed, also a hint of a smile to her voice.

"You call me stubborn?" Articus croaked incredulously, his voice gone hoarse sometime since his last awakening.

Has it been three days, or four?

A rustle of feet and a rush of air hit his face as three shadows arched over him. Articus couldn't turn his head to look at them. A wave of tiredness hit him and he gave out a low curse as blackness took over him.

Thump

Thump

Articus opened his eyes to see sunlight seeping into his room.