Chapter Nine

Articus defended off a skillfully executed multiple pronged attack by a hair's breadth. He had long since stopped going easy on his student.

Nina's skill had advanced so much that Articus had graduated her to knives. With the aide of Advance Combat class, and with her Reaper body almost fully matured, she was fighting him like she was a level 3, not the level 1 she should be. They had just started dual knives and she had already mastered many of the techniques within the first hour.

Dodging yet another close encounter with her blades, Articus used his right dart knife to cut her fore arm.

Finally, a gory hit. Articus thought with triumphant.

Articus had forgone the wooden practice daggers since both Articus and Nina's healing ability had grown enough that large bruises lasted minutes. Although they could still feel pain, Articus wanted her to have marks for her mistakes. He didn't know how long the slashes would last, though. Although Nina's body had a whole year head start on him, Articus felt his body catching up to her with interest.

The dart knife was the standard knife in the Empire. Between Articus and Waylon, they had enough to supply a small army--no soldier left home without a few on hand. The blade was made from good Ce'lian steel. Flat and double edged, the hand and a half long dagger could be concealed just about anywhere. What made the dagger unique was that unlike most daggers, it didn't have a crossbar. Instead, the bottom of the flat blade shaped into a leather wrapped steel handle and its end formed into a loop big enough for two fingers. It was designed to be pulled out from the user's sheath quickly and it was balanced such that it could be thrown. It was one of the most versatile and reliable weapon in the Empire.

Hissing, Nina charged him. At the last second, Articus blocked a thrust for his throat and parried her other knife from his thigh before head butting her in the nose.

"Remember, young one, every body part is a weapon," Articus said in a cool lecturing tone. To his surprise, he hadn't broken a sweat yet.

Growling, she jumped back, blood starting to seep down her lip. Not giving her a chance to recuperate, Articus charged her.

Since the other night, before the fireworks display, Articus had felt his whole body changing even more abruptly than before. As Celia had once predicted, everything around him had become 'lighter' by the hour and his speed was increasing just as rapidly. Adapting to the new abilities was a struggle. He'd already broken two plates and a chair during breakfast.

Just when he thought he had it down, he felt his body change again. It was very frustrating.

Because she was a Reaper, Nina had the speed to match any Blade Master and only until recently had Articus been able to catch up to her. Thankfully it took more than just speed to defeat him.

When he feigned left, the feeling of time slowing down gripped him as he half leaped for her right flank.

Nina pulled her guard up but was too slow. Her eyes were still staring at where he had feigned left when Articus gave her right thigh a shallow cut.

Snaking his arm around her front from behind her, he pushed the tip of his left dagger up underneath her chin. Using his other knife, he pinned her left hand back between his blade and his arm.

Slightly annoyed at his pupil's lack of discipline, Articus said, "You know woman, you don't have to go easy on me. I'm not that much older than you."

Nina's body stiffened, "How did you--My thigh! When did you--"

Articus released the would-be dead woman and took a step back.

So I wasn't imagining it.

Nina stared up at him wonderingly. "I saw you go left but you disappeared after that. How did you do that?"