Chapter Five

I just crouched there, gaping in shock. I was sure that I had seen wrong. My dad would never be in a place like this. But as I peered at the man, the similarities were unmistakable, even if I hadn't seen him in years. The brown curls on top of his head exactly like mine, the slight stubble coating his chin, the way he slouched and rubbed the back of his neck.

The sight of my father who I hadn't seen in years showing up at the circus, practicing throwing knives with this random woman, was so bizarre and confusing to me that I just slouched there in shock. That was a mistake.

He didn't notice me at first, keeping his gaze focused on the woman tied up on the board as he reluctantly picked up one of the knives. He started fumbling with the blade, the way I remembered him doing with his car keys and beer bottles.

"Come on, Ben. At least practice aiming the knife at me," Rosetta called, sounding completely calm even though she was suspended over the dartboard like a starfish.

I suddenly remembered with a jolt that that was my dad's name. I hadn't seen him in years, and my mom rarely talked about him. Besides, it wasn't like I had usually called him by his first name. On its own, I would've dismissed it as a coincidence, but paired with the uncanny resemblance...

He reluctantly pulled the knife behind his shoulder, tightly gripping the handle while squinting at the board. But he lowered his gaze after a few seconds. Probably couldn't bear knifing his girlfriend.

And then his gaze stopped on me, the knife falling from his hand in surprise. My heart leapt as our eyes met. I should've remained hidden, but I couldn't draw my gaze away. I was sure it was him now. That was my dad's face, no doubt about it. His bluish gray eyes scanned me up and down, as if observing me. But he was slightly less shocked than me, since he had seen me before. So that was why the clown had been chasing me. Under any other circumstances, I would've found the thought of my dad dressed up as a ridiculous-looking clown hilarious. But I was so shocked and confused by the revelation, I didn't even know where to start.

"Ben?" Both of us jumped at the sound of his name. "Come on, pick that thing up. Maybe you're right. Maybe I should practice throwing knives with somebody else. Even the ringmaster's son would be better than you."

Ben reluctantly pulled his gaze away from me to glance up at her. I quickly hid behind the board, my heart racing. I couldn't even begin to wrap my head around what I had seen.

"S-sorry," I heard Ben apologize. "You know I'm just worried I'll hurt you in some way. Besides, don't you think I work hard enough keeping this place clean?"

He started saying something else, but I barely heard. My shock and confusion was replaced with growing anger. My dad had just washed his hands of me and disappeared from my life, and now he was part of the circus with this other woman that he showed more concern for than he ever did to my mom who he left me with. I wasn't sure whether to run as far away as possible, or to jump out and confront him. So I just remained crouched there, more anger filling me as I glanced back at the nearly spotless kitchen. He put more effort into cleaning this place than the place we used to live.

"Ben? Hello?" I gritted my teeth at the sound of Rosetta's voice. My dad had sure moved on from my mom quickly. Well, it wasn't that quickly. He hadn't seen her in years, and the few times I had seen them interact, they were always fighting. But it still seemed like somewhat of a betrayal that he could find a replacement so quickly. I sure hadn't heard anything about her, or joining the circus for that matter, back when I was living with my dad.

It was probably better to leave, as much as I wanted to yell at him and demand answers. But then Rosetta lowered her gaze and noticed me crouched behind her, seeming to remember I was there. I gave her a pleading look, though I didn't know why. Ben had already seen me.