Chapter Fifteen

It took a while for Antonio to return. My dad and I kept talking, almost to the point that I forgot why we were here. It was only when I heard Demelza's voice in the distance that I remembered.

I tensed up as I heard the ringmaster's low voice as well. I fell to the ground next to my dad as he put his arm around me, both of us trying to remain completely still. I reached out to grab hold of the crystal ball, jumping as I felt that it was now warm.

Before I could dwell on it, I jumped again at the sound of Mr. Alvarez's low voice. "Well, I can't see anybody here, let alone stealing from us."

"I apologize, sir," I heard Demelza say, as if through gritted teeth. "We must have been mistaken. Or perhaps they ran off."

"Your crystal ball didn't tell you?" the ringmaster mocked. "Well, if they did run off, we should check the caravans if they're still here." I froze at those words while my dad tightened his grip on me, but something about his tone seemed wrong. He didn't seem suspicious, but almost amused."

"That won't be necessary," Demelza assured hurriedly. I wondered if Antonio was there. I hadn't heard him speak.

"Perhaps you can tell me this, if you want your future to look promising," Mr. Alvarez suggested. "Where is the clown and that boy? They seem to have disappeared as well."

I winced as I heard Demelza sputtering, hoping she wouldn't give us away. "I... I don't know," she said, to my relief. "I haven't seen them. Anyway, looks like you've found Antonio and me, haven't you? Do you really need them as well?"

"I suppose not," Mr. Alvarez admitted. "They're weak and useless. I don't need them around, anyway. But I should still check, if there really were thieves here. We can't have that, can we?"

I froze as I heard his footsteps in front of the caravan we were hiding in. I tried to stifle my heavy breathing, remaining as still as possible while my dad trembled next to me. To my relief, I heard his footsteps recede as he walked away. I couldn't help wondering why he had stopped there at all. Then again, it was the only unlocked caravan, so maybe he thought of inspecting if somebody was inside. But why didn't he open the door?

I forced the thoughts out of my mind. My panic was causing me to overthink. I felt my dad tighten his grip around me.

I heard another caravan opening as Mr. Alvarez unlocked the door. I breathed a sigh of relief as I heard him enter. I wondered if Antonio was there. I hadn't heard him. Even if he wasn't, Demelza could distract him. That was probably a better idea, since he apparently trusted her more.

I started breathing easier, realizing all we had to do now was wait until Mr. Alvarez left. But I still felt myself shaking. I reached out to grasp the crystal ball, comforted by the radiating heat. I hadn't realized how cold it was in here. I'd need to use it as soon as my dad got the staff. I began to wonder how I'd be able to take the orb out and replace it. I hadn't thought that part through.

I jumped as I felt the crystal ball getting warmer, shaking me from my thoughts. The heat began to spread up my arm, but I didn't let go. I kept my hand over the ball, as if the burning heat glued me in place. It kept heating up, causing me to wince and grit my teeth until it felt like I was holding onto the flaming torch that Kai used. That was when I finally pulled away.

"Kyle, are you okay?" I glanced at Ben while he stared at me worriedly.

"I'm fine," I assured, cradling my burning hand in the other. It reminded me of when I had accidentally burned myself on the stove.

I watched as he made his way across the caravan, reaching to pull open the shelves. "Don't make too much sound," I warned.

He pulled something out and scampered back, holding the roll of bandages out to me. "What happened?"