Chapter Ten

The shopkeeper looked exactly as I had remembered him, with a long, scraggly white beard and rectangular eyeglasses over his sharp grey eyes. They seemed to pierce into us as we stood there in surprise, too afraid to say anything. I gulped as his piercing gaze settled on me, immediately regretting the decision. He clearly did recognize me.

At least he didn't look angry this time, just curious. I was surprised when he spoke. "What are you children doing here?"

He didn't sound angry either, but I was too nervous to say anything. Thankfully, Antonio wasn't. He must've been used to speaking with new people at the circus. "We just wanted to check your store. My friend here says you have... uh, something we need." I realized he had referred to me as his friend, after I had done the same. It had been to fool somebody else both times, but I wondered if it was true. I guessed it was. It wasn't like Antonio had any other friends, aside from the whack jobs at the circus.

To my surprise, a thin smile spread over the man's face. "Really? That's gratifying to hear. It's so rare for me to get visitors in my store. It's always a welcome sight to see people here."

I couldn't help scoffing in disbelief, remembering the way he had glared at me last time I had tried to come here. Then again, maybe he knew I was only there because my friends had dared me.

"What are your names?" the man asked. When we didn't reply, he went on. "My apologies. Perhaps I should tell you the name of my store first. Not many people know of it, or even that it even has one. I named it after myself. Shop of Dubois."

"Huh?" I couldn't help asking.

"My last name," Mr. Dubois explained. "Over the years, the sign accumulated rust and aging until it was barely decipherable. The same way my customers dwindled away until barely anyone showed up to my shop anymore. Eventually, I threw the sign away, at the same time my last regular customer stopped coming." A saddened expression briefly overtook his face, before he smiled at us. "But it's nice to see new faces here. Now will you tell me what your names are?"

"I'm Antonio," he said, before I could stop him. "And this is Kyle."

I winced as Mr. Dubois directed his gaze at us again, but he wasn't focusing at me this time. Instead, he was staring at Antonio with the same curious expression, as if he recognized him. But I knew that couldn't be possible. Antonio couldn't have met the shopkeeper before. But somebody else could have...

"You seem strangely familiar," Mr. Dubois told him. "Have we met?"

"I don't think so," Antonio said, clearly uncomfortable by his piercing gaze. "I've never been in this town before. Or any town, really. I'm always traveling."

He went silent, thinking he'd said too much. But I spoke up. "Maybe he reminds you of somebody who bought something from your shop?" I suggested.

Mr. Dubois glanced at me in surprise, his gaze lingering a little as well which caused me to wince. Thankfully, he didn't say anything about last time. "Perhaps," he admitted. "Good thinking. Now, why don't you two come in? It's been so long since I've had customers."

He looked at us so warmly, I forgot all about my fear of him as I headed to the shop. I hesitated outside the door as I caught sight of a skull on display inside, remembering how Mr. Alvarez seemed friendly and accommodating as well. I glanced back at Antonio, who was also lingering outside.

"Go on," Mr. Dubois urged. "I won't hurt you, despite what you may hear the other children say about me."

Antonio reluctantly entered the shop, eager to be back at the circus as soon as possible. I followed him, almost coughing from the musty warmth that enveloped me. It was almost like at the circus, only much less bright. It was too dark to see anything, much like the caravans. I tentatively stepped forward while glancing around at the darkness, before jumping in surprise as I bumped into something. I winced at the loud thud as it landed on the floor, hoping I hadn't damaged it in any way.