Chapter Eight

I dodged out of the way just in time as the twins went tearing through the caravans, intent on catching each other. Aidan had his usual furious expression on his face while chasing his sister, while Nadia just looked annoyed while ducking behind one of the caravans in the same way Antonio had.

I glanced over at Antonio, who didn't look overly concerned. He was probably used to this kind of thing. "Hey – cut it out, you two," he called. "Can't you go one day without fighting?"

"I could if he didn't push me off the trapeze," Nadia retorted, poking her head out from behind the caravan.

"Only because you always force me to have the worst part of the act," Aidan accused. "I told you I didn't want to hang upside down, but you wouldn't listen."

"You're stronger than me. You should be able to handle it," Nadia insisted. "You're the one who ruined everything, but Mr. Alvarez forced me to perform again."

"And then you ruined everything as well," Aidan retorted. "Even when he was helping you, you couldn't even walk across the tightrope without—"

Nadia groaned while slumping to the ground. Aidan chased her, before pausing as he noticed how exhausted she looked. "I never want to go on a trapeze or tightrope again. But I know I'll have to."

"Come on, get up and stop being such a baby," Aidan admonished, but he didn't sound as angry as before. He opened the door to the caravan and stepped inside. "I hate sharing a caravan. But Mr. Alvarez won't even give us food if we don't perform, let alone our own homes."

Aidan turned to Antonio with the same resentful expression. "You don't know how lucky you have it. You don't have to share everything. It must be so easy, being the ringmaster's son." Antonio didn't reply as he disappeared into the caravan.

I was relieved it wasn't the ringmaster. I couldn't help feeling sorry for the twins, despite how annoying they could be. They were just as much a victim of Mr. Alvarez. They also didn't appear much older than Rachel, who was currently performing in the big top.

I turned to Antonio. "Does he really not feed them?"

"If they don't perform to their full potential," Antonio admitted. "He says there isn't enough for everyone, but I know that's a lie. He can create all the food and equipment we need, if he really tries."

"Huh?" I asked in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Uh... nothing," Antonio muttered.

"How can he create things?" I demanded. "Is he good at building or setting up the tent?"

"Oh, no," Antonio scoffed. "He's much too lazy for that. He makes us do all the work. But he says he does enough work for all of us combined, so it's the least we could do. And in a way, he's right. He makes everything for us to keep the circus going, as long as he has his..." Antonio trailed off.

"His what?" I asked. Antonio didn't reply, but I had a feeling I knew what he was talking about. I suddenly remembered the way the staff glowed when he tapped it against the ground.

Before I could ask, the door to the caravan swung open. Aidan came out carrying a damp dish towel. He leaned over and offered it to Nadia, who was leaning against the caravan. She placed the wet cloth against her damp forehead.

"I'm not surprised you hate performing," she admitted while getting to her feet. "I hate it sometimes, too."

"Really? You seem to love it," Aidan quipped.

"I did at first. But now, it's exhausting. Especially with how Mr. Alvarez pushes us," Nadia admitted. "Still, we have to if we want a place to stay."

"I wish we didn't. I wish we were back on the streets," Aidan complained.