Chapter Seventeen

I backed away and closed my eyes, raising my hands over my face to shield myself. I didn't feel anything this time, but the ringmaster probably thought it was a waste of time. He had spent enough time doing something terrible to my dad while we all just stood around talking.

I felt slightly guilty as I remembered how it was my fault, since I had told him where he was hiding. I had been just as terrified of the ringmaster as everyone at the circus. I opened my eyes slightly to catch sight of Antonio's guilt-ridden face, deciding to cut him some slack.

"You're still here?" he demanded. "Why haven't you left?"

I glanced at the fortune teller, but she didn't seem to be frightened, even though he had just knocked her out. Instead, her eyes narrowed in anger as she surveyed the ringmaster, who thankfully hadn't noticed her.

"I... I'm sorry. We'll be leaving now," I assured, forgetting about concocting any more plans. It had probably been a terrible idea to get involved in the first place, anyway. It wasn't my job to help the people at the circus, even if one of them was my father. There was no reason to go through all this trouble. I'd probably forget all about them in a little while, anyway. I should've left as soon as Rachel offered me the chance.

I couldn't stop staring at the orb, but not out of confusion this time. There was something strange about the red glow, even though it looked mostly the same. Then I followed my gaze as Mr. Alvarez lowered the staff to the ground. I realized he was aiming it at the glass figurines.

I stepped back, my heart racing as I observed the lion's fierce pose and the monkey's bared teeth. Even though he had failed to bring them to life several times, there was always a chance he would succeed this time. I quickly hid behind the caravan, catching sight of the fortune teller's face as I did. I hoped she wouldn't try to take the figurines, in case she got in the way.

I fell to the ground while leaning against the back of the caravan. Thankfully, there weren't any ferocious roars or growls. I winced as I heard thudding against the ground, but realized it was probably the ringmaster banging his staff in frustration. He had probably messed up at bringing the animals to life again, but that thought didn't give me any relief.

I was slightly relieved when I heard his voice fade away, along with Antonio's. Then I tensed at the sound of footsteps circling the caravan. I drew my hands around my knees, shuddering as I heard somebody approaching. I should've run off, but I was too terrified by everything that had happened. I closed my eyes as I heard whoever it was lean down in front of me. I couldn't see the red glow of the orb, but I was still terrified.

"Oh, it's you." I opened my eyes at the familiar low, husky voice. I stared up at Demelza, slightly relieved by the sight of the fortune teller.

"How did you get here?" I demanded.

She lowered to the ground next to me, brushing out her ragged skirts. "I thought it was safe to come out, now that those two are finally gone. Well, not in front of my caravan, at least."

"That wasn't his caravan?" I asked, staring behind at the back. "I thought it was."

"I was confused as to why he wanted to go inside my caravan," Demelza admitted. "Then I realized that loathsome boy told him. He probably didn't want anyone who came by to suspect him when he saw me knocked out in his carriage. And when I tried to grab the staff out of his hand, that's exactly what he did." She winced, clutching her arm.

"You're... uh, feeling better?" I asked.

A pleased smile spread across her face. "He barely touched me, really. I was just pretending to be unconscious."

"What?" I exclaimed, before lowering my voice. "So you weren't actually hurt?"

Her smile disappeared. "Well, I was. But not as much as I made it seem. That awful thing did knock me to the ground, and then I got the idea to pretend to be unconscious. I told myself I'd jump out while the ringmaster was bothering you. But instead, I just lay there. I was too afraid of him," she admitted with some shame.

"I am too," I admitted. "So is Antonio. That's probably why he told."

She gritted her teeth. "That boy... I never liked him. He gets everything, just because he's the ringmaster's son."

"I thought it was you who did," I admitted. "I guess since you have powers as well. But I see I was wrong."

"I suppose it doesn't matter now. Now we'll never get that thing," Demelza sighed.

"We wouldn't have had much of a chance even if he didn't tell," I admitted. "Now that I think about it, it was a pretty reckless plan."

"Well, time to get back to work. He'll ship us off to the next town before long, as soon as he's finished punishing us." Demelza stood up glumly. "Well, I'd better get ready for more onlookers who are looking for cheap entertainment."

"We could still stop him," I insisted. "He trusted you enough to let you see more than anyone else at the circus, even Antonio. And your parents taught you some tricks, right? Your crystal ball is a lot like the staff. It turned hot to warn me of the ringmaster before I came. You could take it from him and—"

"No, I can't." Demelza shook her head sadly. "Nobody can defeat him. We're all too scared. What he did to me just now was actually the best outcome. It would've been much worse if he revealed what I did in my past." A guilty look crossed her face.

I deflated as I realized she was right. "Well, you could at least check on my dad," I suggested. "He's still in that caravan. Mr. Alvarez did something terrible to him."

"Alright," Demelza agreed, moving to the back of the caravan. She turned to me while I remained on the ground. "Aren't you going to come?"

I was tempted, knowing it was probably the last time I'd seen my dad. As much as I was annoyed with him, it was still somewhat exciting to see him, and now he was going to leave again. But then I heard Mr. Alvarez's booming voice, followed by the shattering of glass. I realized he was yelling at Rachel.

"Maybe I should check on my sister," I suggested.

"You'd better not," Demelza warned. "It won't turn out well if he notices you." She winced at his screams. "I have to wander why he's so angry this time, though. He never was any of the other times we tried to escape."

I suspected I knew why, and not only because we had figured out the secret behind his staff. I got up to follow Demelza, mostly just to see my dad one last time.

As we carefully trailed behind the row of caravans, I paused as Mr. Alvarez's screams increased in volume and intensity. He didn't sound angry anymore, but as if he was in pain. Like an animal in pain, I thought wryly. I peeked between the caravans, trying to catch sight of him. Then I froze at the sight.

I shuddered at his furious expression, even though it wasn't directed at me. He was towering over Rachel, who was shaking slightly on the ground. But she was glaring up at him as well, I noticed with slight admiration. I jumped as I noticed the staff was clutched in his hand, the opposite end raised above her head. It reminded me too much of how he had done the same thing to the fortune teller moments before. Before I could stop myself, I ran out from between the caravans and charged at the ringmaster.