Chapter Seven

Some of the crowd started yelling, while others thought it was part of the act. I watched with bated breath as Nadia fell all the way down, but she didn't seem overly frightened. She turned in midair and managed to land on her feet, before reaching her hands down to grip the ring. Then she stumbled and fell over, probably exhausted from all the acts.

I glanced up at Aidan, who had an almost satisfied expression on his face. He seemed far less irritable on the trapeze now, even managing to lift his leg up. Unfortunately, the crowd was too busy focusing on his sister to pay attention to him. Nadia lay sprawled over on the floor, and for a moment, I thought she had lost consciousness. But then she lifted her head, brushing back her dark mass of curls that had come loose of the hairband as she fell.

Aidan abruptly stopped smiling when he glanced to the side. So did Nadia. When I glanced over, I realized why. I caught sight of a tall man standing on the other side of the ring, a less than pleased look on his face. My heart thudded as I realized it was the ringmaster.

The twins were clearly as terrified of him as everyone else at the circus. Aidan quickly leapt down from the trapeze while Nadia got to her feet, before both of them followed him off the ring. The audience started to get impatient, but I was relieved they were gone. I couldn't help feeling bad for the acrobats. It must've been difficult having to perform the act together, especially when they clearly didn't like each other. And I wouldn't want to be alone with the ringmaster.

Unfortunately, it didn't take long for them to reappear. Their heads were bowed, and I got a good impression of what he had said to them. Then he said something that caused Nadia to raise her head and weakly protest, only to go silent as her brother nudged her. I watched in shock as she reluctantly stepped back up on the trapeze, her legs trembling slightly as she pulled herself up. She gripped the ropes tightly, losing the relaxed smile she used to have while addressing the audience. I could tell the ringmaster was forcing her to perform again. Maybe it was a punishment for falling off, even if Aidan had thrown her.

"I'm sorry about that." I jumped as the ringmaster addressed the audience in his usual amicable tone. "The acrobats fail to perform on occasion. Always fighting about something or other. But don't worry, they'll be back up before you know it, if not on the trapeze. Or at least, the girl will." He gave Nadia a look before briefly raising his staff as if pointing at something. I glanced up to catch a glimpse of a tightrope that I hadn't noticed before, suspended near the top of the tent. "Maybe it's better for you and your brother to perform separately. Otherwise, you'll wind up killing each other."

She winced as if the words had a double meaning. I thought she was going to go on the trapeze again, but instead she headed to the ladder at the side of the ring and began climbing. She struggled just climbing up, but she didn't dare refuse with the ringmaster watching. Once she was at the top, she stumbled slightly, and I was worried she was going to fall off again.

I saw Mr. Alvarez raise the staff again, seeming to point it directly at her. Then I tore my gaze from him at the bright flash on the stage. The lights seemed to flare up for a moment, highlighting the terrified, but resigned expression on her face as she managed to regain her balance. It caused me to shudder as well, reminding me of the way the crystal ball and the orb glowed. The crowd watched in anticipation as she stepped on the tightrope, even her brother. But she didn't stumble once as she continued, as if walking on a straight road. Even when she hesitated or stepped in the wrong direction, the tightrope didn't even sway. The audience started aweing over the performance again as she continued, seeming as effortlessly skilled as before. But she didn't look like she was enjoying it at all, with the same downtrodden expression illuminated by the lighting. Her brother looked just as unhappy, and not just because she was getting all the spotlight.