[Nightmare]

The sun had now set, and the group retreated to an abandoned school bus in the junkyard

The sun had now set, and the group retreated to an abandoned school bus in the junkyard. They sat huddled, silently awaiting for this so-called beast. Steve and Cherry sat side by side on some broken seats, while Steve idly played with his lighter, the flame flickering on and off in the dim light. Max piped up, her nerves clear in the heavy silence. "So, you really fought one of these things before? And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear?" Dustin sighed, rolling his eyes. "Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."

Max scoffed at Dustin's response, crossing her arms as she teased, "Geesh, someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" Seeing the boy didn't intend to respond, Max climbed up to the roof of the bus to join Lucas. Seeing she was now gone, Steve smirked at Dustin. "That's good. Just show her you don't care." Dustin grunted in response, his facade faltering for a moment. "I don't," he insisted, though his reaction betrayed a hint of doubt. Steve shot him a wry smile, starting to wink. Dustin frowned clearly annoyed, "Why are you winking, Steve? Stop."

"Got it," Steve said, dropping the wink and adjusting his expression. He turned to Cherry, the darkness from outside casting a shadow across her face as she gazed out the broken window. Steve observed her, his voice softening as he spoke, "You okay?" Cherry turned to Steve, unaware he'd been paying attention to her. She offered a small smile, "Yeah, I'm okay. It's just a lot to take in," Steve nodded understandingly, "I get it," he replied, his voice gentle. "I was really freaked out when I—" From the roof of the bus, Lucas's urgent voice interrupted.

"I've got eyes! Ten o'clock!" He stuttered, repeating his previous words, "Ten o'clock!" Cherry shot up from her seat, her eyes scanning the darkness outside the bus, searching anxiously for the monster Steve had described. Her hands trembled as she tightly gripped the edge of the window frame, her knuckles turning white. "There," Dustin confirmed, pointing from behind the pair with a trembling finger. Cherry's breath caught in her throat as she finally spotted the creature, its form illuminated by the faint moonlight.

As the realization of what they were facing sunk in, Cherry felt a wave of terror wash over her. She should have just stayed home. This was no ordinary threat – this was a creature made out of pure nightmare. Her mind raced with fear as she struggled to comprehend how this thing could possibly exist. "Oh my god. It's real..." she muttered, her eyes widening with fear at the sight. Max's voice joined the fray, her concern evident as she made her way down below, "What's he doing?" she asked. Lucas gulped, his voice tense, "I don't know,"

As the low chittering continued, Max's suspicions grew as she squinted. "You're sure that's not a dog?" she questioned, her fear palpable. Lucas nodded, "Yes!" Dustin's confusion mirrored Max's. "What?" he exclaimed, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. Steve's calm voice cut through the chaos, "He's not taking the bait," he remarked, realization setting on him. Dustin's concern deepened. "Why is he not taking the bait?!" he wondered aloud, his mind racing with reasons. "Maybe he's not hungry?" Lucas suggested, his voice tinged with apprehension.

Steve walked over to the corner of the bus, grabbing his bat. "Maybe he's sick of cow," he mused, his tone filled with determination as he flipped open his lighter one last time. Cherry's pulse could be heard in her ears, Steve approaching the doors. "Steve? Steve, what are you doing?" Dustin's voice trembled. But Steve remained tall, his breath heavy as he prepared for what was to come. "Just get ready," he urged, Lucas shaking his head in denial. As the metal doors creaked open and Steve stepped outside with his bat, Cherry's heart raced.

"Steve... don't," she whispered, her voice barely audible over the chaos of the kids behind her. But Steve seemed undeterred, shooting her a soft smile before he began to whistle. "Come on, buddy," he called from outside, the bus doors closing behind him. Max's words echoed Cherry's fears. "What's he doing?" she questioned, her voice filled with disbelief. Dustin's response was grim. "Expanding the menu," he remarked, his tone betraying a mixture of awe and terror. Cherry could hardly watch as Steve continued to taunt the creature outside.

Cherry placed a shaky hand on her chest, feeling as if she was going to be sick. "Oh god," she whispered, the fear gripping her like a vice. From outside, Steve went on, hitting his bat against heavy old metal sheets. "Come on, buddy. Come on, dinner time! Human tastes better than cat, I promise!" Max's response mirrored Cherry's growing sense of dread. "He's insane," she muttered, her voice trembling with disbelief. "He's awesome," Dustin declared, his voice filled with a mixture of fear and awe for Steve's bravery.

While they watched, Lucas's voice cut through the quiet, a warning ringing clear. "Steve, watch out!" he shouted, his urgency unmistakable. Steve walked on, his bat gripped tightly between his hands. "A little busy here!" he called back, his voice resolute. Lucas's frantic voice pierced through the bus once again. "Three o'clock! Three o'clock!" he yelled, the danger looming closer. Cherry's heart raced as she braced herself for the inevitable, her hands trembling with fear. "Steve!" she cried out, her voice filled with desperation as she watched him start to run.

Dustin's voice joined the chorus of warnings. "Steve! Abort! Abort!" he exclaimed, his fear palpable. Max's plea echoed in Cherry's ears.  "Steve, hurry!" she shouted, her voice laced with terror. As they watched Steve sprinting towards them, their hearts pounded in unison, fear gripping them as they realized more than one demogorgon was now chasing after him. Cherry and the rest of the group waited anxiously at the door, ready to shut it behind him the moment he made it inside. Finally, Steve burst through the door, his breath heavy with adrenaline.

"Shit!" he exclaimed, his eyes wide with fear as he stumbled forward, nearly collapsing onto Cherry. For a moment, Cherry found herself holding him up in her arms, her heart racing as she felt the warmth of his body against hers. But then, as he noticed their proximity, he quickly stepped away, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment. He leant down, hands against his knees as he breathed, "Uh, sorry," he mumbled, his voice sheepish as he avoided her gaze. Cherry nodded, trying to ease the tension. "It's okay," she assured, her voice gentle as she pursed her lips.

But before they could dwell on the awkwardness, Max's question broke through the tension, "Are they rabid or something?!" She panicked, eyeing the creatures outside. Ignoring Max's question, Lucas watched the demogorgons scratch at the bus, their claws scraping against the hard metal. "They can't get in! They can't!" he exclaimed, his voice trembling with fear. As the monsters growled and screeched outside, the group huddled together, their breaths coming in ragged gasps as they waited for the danger to pass. But their relief was short-lived as one of the creatures peered through the hole in the roof.

With Max standing in front of the opening, the creature revealed its teeth, snarling with rage. Max screeched as she looked up, the demogorgon inches away from her. But before it could attack, Steve sprang into action, using his lighter to blow fire towards it. The creature recoiled, its screeches echoing in the night as it retreated, followed by the rest of its pack. As the danger subsided, Max let out a breath she didn't realize she had been holding. "Holy shit!" she whispered, her eyes wide with disbelief.

Cherry rushed to her sister's side, relieved to find her unharmed. "Are you okay?" she asked, her voice filled with concern. Meanwhile, Lucas voiced the question on everyone's mind. "What the fuck just happened?" Steve shook his head, "I don't know," he admitted, still catching his breath. Dustin cleared his throat, trying to ease his panting. "Steve scared 'em off?" He tried, though it sounded more like a question. That was never a good sign. Steve shook his head yet again,
"No. No way. They're going somewhere,"