[Ice cream]

In Steve's car, the radio played softly in the background, filling the space with mellow tunes as the sun dipped lower in the sky, casting long shadows across the landscape. Cherry squinted as she looked outside, the sun in her eyes as she hummed along. With the sun blaring against her soft skin, Cherry knew that this was going to be a good summer. Despite having taken summer courses, she just had a good feeling bubbling inside her, a sense of excitement for what awaited. It was her first summer in Hawkins after all, and she was determined to make the most of it.

Plus, with Steve and Robin, Cherry knew she had nothing to worry about. This summer was going to be unforgettable, she could just feel it in her bones. As the car rolled along the streets of Hawkins, Cherry's gaze drifted from the passing scenery to Steve, who sat beside her with one hand on the wheel. She smiled as she watched him finish off his pretzel, crumbs scattering onto his lap. Steve looked over at Cherry, offering her the last bite. "You can have it," he said, holding out the wrapped pretzel out to her with a sweet smile. Cherry chuckled, shaking her head. "Go ahead, Steve," she replied, her eyes still squinted.

Steve shrugged with a satisfied grin, popping the last bite into his mouth before turning his attention back to the road ahead. Eventually pulling into his empty driveway, Steve parked the car, a soft sigh escaping him. His gaze lingered on the empty driveway for a moment before he turned off the engine, glancing around at the brightly illuminated brick house. Cherry gathered her books, following Steve to the porch. He slumped, not surprised his parents weren't home. In reality, they were almost never there, their jobs keeping them occupied for long hours.

While he had grown almost accustomed to the loneliness, there were times when the emptiness of the house weighed heavily on him. Now, it was easier, however, as a child, he had a difficult upbringing. Although, in a different way than Cherry. While Cherry had endured the abuse from her father, Steve had grown up feeling isolated and shy. In his early years, Steve found it challenging to connect with others or to make friends, feeling overlooked and unnoticed. This sense of invisibility left him craving attention and validation, which he sought in various ways.

He would often act out in class, becoming the "class clown" to gain attention from teachers or his parents. Despite his efforts, the attention he received was often fleeting, leaving him feeling even more forgotten and alone. As he grew older, Steve's desire for attention only intensified, manifesting in his outgoing and sometimes brash behavior. He became known as the class jerk, using humor and bravado to mask his insecurities and longing for genuine connection. Despite his outward confidence, Steve still yearned for acceptance, aching to be seen.

Cherry had noticed the subtle pain in his eyes during those moments, a silent longing for the warmth of family he'd never really fully grasped. As he unlocked the door, Cherry couldn't help but feel a pang of empathy for Steve. She knew that while he may have grown used to the solitude, it still tugged at his head from time to time. Entering the spacious Harrington house, Cherry slid off her converse and left her books on the long dining table near the entrance. Looking up at the tall ceilings, the grandeur of the house never failed to awe her, its vastness always seeming to echo with the whispers of privilege she'd never known.

Though she'd been over many times now, she didn't think she'd ever be able to get used to the large house. "You hungry?" Steve asked, his voice echoing within the walls as he disappeared into the kitchen. Cherry shrugged, taking a moment to admire the elegant furnishings before following Steve's voice into the kitchen. She found him rummaging through the fridge, a grin spreading across her face at the sight of him. "Always hungry, Stevie?" Cherry teased, crossing her arms over her chest as she leaned against the doorframe.

Steve turned around, a mock offended expression on his face. "Can't a guy eat around here?" he replied, flashing her an eye roll before returning his attention to the fridge. Cherry chuckled at Steve's offense, amused. "I guess you can," she conceded, making her way to join him by the fridge. Watching his face as he dug in the freezer, Cherry wrapped her arms around Steve's waist, on her tiptoes to see what he found. Steve grinned, pulling out a carton of ice cream from the fridge with a triumphant flourish. "Ah-ha! Ice cream it is," he declared, holding up the carton as if presenting a grand prize.

Cherry laughed, shaking her head at her boyfriend's enthusiasm. "Ice cream for dinner?" she repeated with a skeptical look, raising an eyebrow teasingly. Steve groaned dramatically, "God, Cherry, you're such a grown-up," he retorted, his tone laced with sarcasm as he held up the carton of ice cream higher in the air. Cherry chuckled, tightening her arms around his waist. "Well, someone has to keep you in line," she quipped, leaning in to press a kiss to his shoulder. Steve grinned, turning his head to return the kiss on her knuckle before playfully nudging Cherry with his elbow.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, boss," he replied, his tone light as he grabbed two spoons from one of the many drawers. Steve flashed Cherry a look, then grabbed her hand, pulling her playfully towards the large cozy couch. "Come on," Cherry laughed, letting herself be dragged along by her boyfriend. "Steve, wait," As they reached the couch, Steve plopped down onto the cushions, patting the space beside him invitingly. "Sit," Cherry rolled her eyes with a smile, but couldn't resist the invitation. She settled onto the couch beside Steve, their shoulders brushing as they both dug into the carton of ice cream with their spoons.

Steve smiled to himself, "I knew there was a reason I kept you around," Cherry's eyes widened, leaning closer to him as they indulged in their shared dessert. "Really, Steve?" She went on, "And what reason is that?" Steve grinned as he savored another spoonful of ice cream, "Well, besides your impeccable taste in ice cream flavors," he began, his spoon moving as he spoke, "You also happen to be the best company." Cherry felt herself blush, a soft smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Flattery will get you everywhere, Harrington," she replied, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.