Mikeys POV

My brother agreed to cover for me from Dad.

After dinner, my dad went off to watch TV and I snuck out of the bathroom window.

It was exilerating, I'd never done anything like sneaking out before. I climbed uncomfortably through the window frame, landing in the outside world, face to face with the sun which managed to still shine as bright as ever despite it being now 8 pm— daylight savings is such a strange phenomenon.

I had her address crumpled on a piece of paper in my pocket:

46B, Cemetery Dr.

The name freaked me out a little bit, but I think I was mostly filled with adrenaline.

Her house was close, thankfully. I wandered down the broken pathways and almost got lost, but then I spotted that blue, shiny sign pointed down a road labeled "Cemetery Dr."

I approached the house, knocking on the wooden door which was painted a nostalgic colour of red.

My stomach started to flutter anxiously as my date arrived at the door.

"Come in, Mikey", Kristin said with a welcoming smile.

I nervously shuffled into her house, sitting down next to her on the couch.

We kinda sat there awkwardly, I had to break the silence.

"I uh- I'm sorry if it was sudden, you know, me asking if we could hang out, but I noticed you at the therapy room when I went with my brother and you kind of, uh- stuck with me."

I admitted, finally getting the words off my chest.

"Wait, really?" She said, surprised.

"I immediately recognized you from that day too, how come you and your brother were there?"

She asked, curiosity getting the best of her.

"Well, my brother experienced 9/11. He hasn't spoken since, that's why my dad made him go to therapy."

She stared at me sympathetically, waiting for our eyes to meet, so I decided to meet her gaze.

I could feel my face getting hotter as I quickly averted my gaze, stopping any further embarrassment.

"That sucks, Mikey. Though I kinda wish it happened to my brother, he talks way to much— I think I'd like him better if he were mute." She deviously told me.

I chuckled at her silliness. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if she was telling the truth.

"Yeah, it's way easier to deal with him now. I told him I was sneaking out, what's he gonna do, tell Dad? I don't think so"

We broke out into laughter as she grabbed my arm in the rush of the moment, I almost didn't notice.

Our laughter died down, and as it did, she slowly moved her hand lower until her hand was in mine. I softly clutched her hand, intertwining our fingers together.

I realized we were sharing a very special moment just then, I could feel it in the hotness of my face, in my sweaty palms, and maybe even a bit "down there." Hey, it was just the zinging hormones and buzzing excitement, okay?

Suddenly, our 'exciting' moment got interrupted by a sudden voice.

"Hi, I'm Frank. Nice to meet you."

I leaped up in the air, Kristy immediately snatching her hand away from mine.

I spun around to look at the guy, my glasses resting askew on my nose, making me look like a dork.