Metias's Fun Day

Ariana's POV:

I blink open my eyes to the gentle morning light spilling across my room. A delicious smell tickles my nose, and I'm curious but still too cozy under my blankets to investigate. Then, there's a soft knock, and the door creaks open. I sit up rubbing my sleepy eyes. My brother Metias stands there, a tray in his hands and the biggest grin on his face.

He tiptoes over and sets the tray down on my bedside table.

"Morning, Ari," he whispers. "I made you breakfast." And there they are, the most perfect chocolate pancakes I've ever seen, covered in a glossy layer of syrup. Next to them is a glass of orange juice, the kind that promises to be tangy and sweet, and a bowl full of fruits that are so bright and colorful they look like they've been plucked right out of a summer painting.

Metias watches me with expectant eyes as I sit up and take in the feast. He's even arranged the fruits into a smiley face, and I can't help but let out a happy laugh. It's the best surprise.

As I dig into the pancakes, each bite is a dream of chocolatey goodness, and the orange juice is like a burst of sunshine in my mouth. The fruit is fresh and sweet, the perfect sidekick to my chocolate feast. Metias and I chat about everything and nothing, and I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be one of those days that sticks in my memory forever-the kind that's just too good to forget. I'm ready for whatever comes next, my belly full and my heart even fuller. Bring on the day!

Two hours later...

"Ari, come on! We're not gonna get anywhere with your slow ass." I glare at Metias as Mathew comes from behind and smacks him on the back of the head.

"Be nice to your sister." He rolls his eyes before turning to me with his hands on his hips. I quickly put my shoes on but struggle with the laces. These are the first shoes with laces I've worn since I got here. Dad never taught me how to tie my shoes...

My fingers fumble with the laces, each failed attempt fueling my frustration. Metias, already at the door, checks his watch with a sigh. He turns to call out,

"Come on, Ari, we're going to be late!" But the words catch in his throat when he sees me on the verge of tears.

"What's going on?" Metias asks, his impatience replaced by concern as he strides over.

"I can't do it," I sniffle, gesturing helplessly at the tangled mess of laces. "They just won't... go right."

Metias kneels in front of me, his expression softening.

"Hey, it's okay. Laces can be tricky little things," he says with a gentle chuckle, trying to lighten the mood.

I let out a frustrated huff.

"I should be able to tie my own shoes. I'm not a kid."

Metias reaches out, placing a reassuring hand on your shoulder.

"Ari, everyone has something they struggle with. This doesn't make you any less amazing, you know?"

I look up, meeting his gaze as he starts to work on my laces.

"But it's embarrassing," I mumbled, watching as his fingers deftly crossed and loop the laces.

"There's nothing to be embarrassed about," Metias says firmly. "I'm your brother, and I'm here for you, no matter what. Plus, I've had plenty of practice with my own laces."

I can't help but smile a little.

"You're going to make fun of me forever for this, aren't you?"

Metias finishes with a flourish and taps the neatly tied bows.