Plan Valencia

"Tell me, Nairobi, Venice, do you know where Denver is?" She turns to him as I take a look at Nairobi's neck. I don't think it'll bruise, but I can't say for sure. "No."

He storms out of the room toward the warehouse. Nairobi and I exchange a quick glance before rushing after him. "Denver!" his voice echoes through the warehouse. "My friend! Come here!"

"I have a bad feeling about this," I turn to Nairobi, and even though she doesn't answer, I can tell from her expression that she's worried too. I quicken my steps. "Berlin!... Damn it!"

"Berlin, wait!" Nairobi now also calls out.

"Stop!... Berlin!"

"Wait, God damn it, Berlin!" she exclaims before we come to a halt in front of him. "Listen to me. Stop. You're right!" With his vacant stare and dried blood from his nose, he looks like a true psychopath, but then again, how would I look if I were in his situation? Who knows if he's really a child molester and a trafficker or not, the fact that the police have all this information about him can only be the result of a stupid mistake. In this case, Denver's mistake.

"You're right. Denver might have lost the button on your jacket because he was wearing it, but so what? So what? You can't change that," I try to reason with him. Why am I even doing this?

"It's clear that you would say that, Venice. I can't change it, but I can punish him."

"Berlin," Helsi and Oslo enter the room. "He's not resting. He's not in the museum... or the tunnel... or the printing house." I close my eyes briefly before looking to Nairobi, who massages her neck with one hand and runs the other through her hair before meeting my gaze. Monica... He's with Monica... Berlin turns to us. "Maybe he went to the festival again? Don't worry, boys, I'll look for him." He continues walking, but both of us step in front of him.

"Berlin, Berlin, please, come to your senses," I gesture with my hands. "You can't shoot him because he stole your jacket."

"You just can't. That's a mistake. You have style and that'll be a mess." We back away, considering that Berlin just keeps walking, flanked by the two Serbians.

"What about my dignity?"

"Huh?" we both say simultaneously, looking at him bewildered.

"I have a reputation to maintain. My friends from Costa Azul have seen my name connected to those lies. Denver has fucked up my honor,' he turns to me. 'And if someone fucks up my honor, I destroy him."

"Berlin, please, if they are really your friends, do you think they'll believe the crap if it's really a lie?" I ask him.

"Did you believe it or not?" he stares at me blankly, and I can't prevent the skipping of my heartbeat, as well as the guilt that spreads within me. "You believed it. I like you, Venice, but I'm not blind. I see you following Denver around. We've gotten along famously for the past few months, and one message is enough to ruin it all. Why wouldn't my friends think the same as you, or you, Nairobi? Denver has managed to completely ruin your trust in me, hasn't he? Why shouldn't I punish him?"

"Berlin, you can't be serious? My trust in you has been eroded when you behaved disgustingly towards frightened women and when you thought it was fair to beat my brother to a pulp. That has nothing to do with Denver. Please just see that you've made mistakes too. Not just Denver."

He shakes his head and looks between us. I look pleadingly at Helsi, but he shrugs and looks apologetically at me. "Do you understand? We're talking about integrity here. Ethics are important, Nairobi, Venice. But so are aesthetics."

"He might have lost a button, but he didn't spread those lies, that was the police. Do you see me going around shooting people because I was dishonorably discharged due to a lie?"