It can always get worse

SUNDAY 7:02 P.M.

HOUR 57 OF THE HEIST

...You know that moment when you finally realize something's wrong? It hurts doesn't it? You're there with your partner, and you think, 'You motherfucker...' or 'you fucking bitch.' You don't want to believe it, but there's a traitor. And it can only be you or your partner. And Angel knew it wasn't him. Raquel was trying to find an explanation, for the robbery but when you can't think of any, there's always someone willing to give you a little push. And this someone turned out to be Coronel Prieto. He was quick to suspect Angel and make it clear to Raquel that he didn't believe she could be the culprit. Angel thought it couldn't get any worse, but of course it could. It can always get worse. Because when you hit rock bottom... you can still dig further into the abyss...

"Una mattina mi sono alzato O bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao..." Currently, I'm keeping Moscow company in the safe. I couldn't stand the commotion up there anymore and need to come to terms with what Berlin told me first. I'm sitting next to the hole that Moscow is currently digging with a pickaxe. I wanted to help, but he forbade me. He told me to rest, saying, "Who knows what else might happen in this hell," before patting me on the shoulder and returning to the hole. We chatted for a while, about everything that has happened, but now the radio is playing softly in the background, playing "Bella Ciao." The Professor told us to memorize it, so it wasn't a problem to quietly sing along. Meanwhile, you could hear the pickaxe hitting the stone over and over again. "Una mattina mi sono alzato E ho trovato l'invasor." We're both singing along. I glance over at Moscow, who stands up and steps into the hole, pulling out the individual broken stones. Suddenly, he pauses and reaches into the hole. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and stand up to go to him. But at that moment, he retrieves a handful of dirt from the hole and lets it trickle back down. "It's dirt!" he shouts at the top of his lungs to inform the others. I burst out laughing and kneel beside him, taking a handful of dirt myself. I never thought I'd be so happy to see damn dirt. Both of us start singing with joy again, "O bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao..."

"What's going on?" Tokyo and Helsinki appear at the round door. Both of us stand up, singing and grinning, letting the dirt trickle through our hands.

"E se muoio da partigiano. Tu mi devi seppellir," Helsinki looks at me with a grin before turning to my father figure.

"What's going on, Moscow?"

"We did it!" I start shouting and walk towards the two of them. Tokyo puts her hands to her face in disbelief, and Helsinki comes towards me, lifting me up joyfully. We start cheering, "We did it!" Tokyo and Moscow embrace each other.

...It wasn't dark yet Sunday night arrived and the mood was euphoric. We had reached the dirt, and Nairobi had the presses working at full capacity. She had surpassed the 400 million euros mark...

We started dancing and continued singing, "È questo il fiore del partigiano, O bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao." Helsinki had just spun me around when Berlin joined us as well. A glance from him at our grinning faces is enough to understand what's going on. He closes his eyes, spreads his arms with a grin, and also starts singing along.

"Mi seppellire lassù in montagna," he comes through the door and shakes hands with Moscow before joining in again, kneeling in front of the hole and inspecting the dirt.

...We'd sealed off every entrance with explosives. And it felt like we were inside a bunker. Those were our ten minutes of glory...