I've been kind

TUESDAY, 3:32 P.M.

HOUR 101 OF THE HEIST

"Excuse me, could I have a moment of your time, please? Look." Nairobi comes running down the stairs leading to the museum, where the hostages who helped us wrap the money have just taken their seats. "As you know, we've released your colleagues who chose freedom. So nobody has been deceived here. We've kept our promise." She nods at me, grinning. I've naturally told her about Berlin and me, and about the whirlwind of emotions swirling inside me. She was shocked, but after realizing how elated I was, she accepted it with a brief nod and a smile. But I'd bet my hat that she's given Berlin a piece of her mind, considering they both emerged slightly agitated from his office, after which she slyly gave me a thumbs-up.

"Promise my balls," Arturo's charming voice interrupts my thoughts. My head snaps to him, giving him a warning glance. It's only a matter of time before Helsinki seeks revenge on Oslo, and I won't stop him. On the other hand, Nairobi either didn't hear his comment or skillfully ignored it, continuing bluntly.

"And, likewise, I swear that the million euros will be sent to the addresses you gave us."

"Lies and more lies." Another quip, jawbreaker.

"We will also keep that promise. I give you my word." With that, she turns around, grinning, and heads upstairs. Denver, casting a pensive glance at Monica, walks down the stairs between the hostages and past her. I notice Arturo giving Denver a strange look, practically screaming 'I have a plan.' Unfortunately, he's not dumb enough to not notice me watching him, prompting him to nod at Monica. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion; hasn't she grown to despise him by now? I must have been so intensely observing the two that I didn't even notice Helsinki stepping beside me. It's only when he nudges my shoulder that I startle and turn to him. He gestures that we have a break, and we both leave the room as Denver takes our place.

"So spill it."

"What am I supposed to spill?" I feign ignorance, catching Helsi grinning at me from the side.

"You know what. I'm not blind, you know." He chuckles briefly. "Ha! The knowing looks you and Nairobi exchanged, and the sudden closeness between you and Berlin, which wasn't so sudden if you ask me. Not to mention the looks he's been giving you."

"And what looks are those?"

"As if you're the most precious thing in the world but also his breakfast." We both stop and look at each other. "You know, like he wants to devour you." We both stare blankly at each other until we burst into laughter.

"What can I say..." After we finally regain our composure, I begin to speak. "We had a little chat after I had a panic attack in front of him, and one thing led to another, and well."

"Oh, oh... I know that grin."

"What grin?"

"You're smitten with him. You're head over heels." He grins.

"Well, I wouldn't say smitten, but kind of, yeah."

"You have to tell me everything, every detail. If he managed to make you react like that in a conversation about him... then I want to know the secrets."

"You're worse than a schoolgirl," I laugh.

"At least am I a pretty schoolgirl?"

"The prettiest." I hook my arm with his as we climb the stairs to the common room. "He said he loves me... twice. And when I still didn't believe him... well."

"What 'well'?" he asks, confused, to which I give him my 'are you serious' look.

"Aah!" Then he takes a moment to realize what I just said before squealing like a girl who's just met her favourite singer on the street. "OMG. You're growing up!" I just laugh and start telling him everything that happened while we settle on the sofas.