Russian Roulette

HOUR 80 OF THE HEIST

...It was a crime scene straight out of a movie. The police had swiftly taken all measures to secure the house within moments. Everyone had to wear gloves and suits, and only essential personnel were allowed inside. The inspector's adrenaline and cortisol levels started to rise. Her heart rate and blood pressure increased. Like a lioness on the hunt, moments before catching a gazelle, she was excited and knew she was closing in on her prey. Raquel couldn't stop asking herself questions. Were these clues really leads worth following... or another dead end that would slow her up? She thought, 'this doesn't make sense,' and Raquel was right. The Professor had meticulously planned to lead the police to Toledo, leaving behind an Oscar-worthy crime scene, littered with DNA from people who had nothing to do with the robbery. What wasn't in the Professor's plan was returning to plant the fingerprints of those of us the police had already identified. Berlin, Tokyo, Rio... and me. Also throwing them off with anchovies and the pharmacy records. He intended to lead Murillo to a dead end that would make her waste at least three days. Three very productive days for us since we were printing eight million euros an hour, especially with the invaluable help of our hostages. Now our accomplices, they expected to one day receive one million euros in the mail. But to Raquel, something didn't add up. Inside those walls, there was nothing they didn't already know. The Professor thought it would take her three days, but it took the inspector 50 minutes. Sitting in that car, watching as Raquel and the forensics identified the problem faster than planned, the Professor had to consider the next step...

"It's time."

"We still have a minute to six." Berlin looks at his watch. "Well, given the circumstances, you can take your punctuality and shove it." With that, Moscow reaches for the receiver again, attempting to reach the Professor. Staring into space with a cigarette in my hand, I nod in agreement. The Professor is starting to become unreliable, and what happened with Oslo has greatly dampened trust in him. Several moments pass, and he still doesn't pick up. Nervously tapping my foot, I look over to Moscow. "Third call with no answer. That's 18 hours since we last heard from the Professor. We know what that means." A hand rests on my leg, and I pause. Helsinki gives me a brief smile, and I squeeze his hand in thanks. I hadn't realized I was still tapping my foot.

"We'll do status update calls every six hours."

"What if you don't call us?" Tokyo turns to the Professor.

"Or if you don't answer the phone?" Nairobi adds to the question.

"Well, if anything comes up, wait for the next call until we complete a four-call cycle. Twenty-four hours."

"What if we still aren't able to reach you after 24 hours?"

"Then, it will almost certainly mean that I've been arrested and they're interrogating me."

I stand up and head towards the door. "Where are you going?" Berlin asks me.

"I have hostage duty." With that, I leave the office, escaping the oppressive atmosphere. Once downstairs, I pat Rio on the shoulder and motion for him to go upstairs. Then I start the usual routine, making rounds past the working hostages. By separating them and bringing them to our side, they've become much calmer and more cooperative. However, there are a few specialists whom I don't trust, including Arturo, Alison, and the teacher. The latter is only trying to help her students get out, and I respect that, but Arturo is only trying to save his own skin and his relationship with Monica. His coworkers have always been insignificant to him. As I pass by a pile of money rolls, I can't help but grin. The thought of getting out of here and Anibal finally getting his damn island makes me happy. Originally, I thought we would start a new life together, but as long as he's happy with Tokyo, he can do as he pleases.