TO LIFE

SUNDAY 4:40 P.M.
HOUR 54 OF THE HEIST

It seems the Professor arranged for the Inspector to come in to inspect the hostages. So here we are, lined up at the entrance with our guns raised. Berlin, Tokyo, Rio, and I haven't covered our faces. The police already know them anyway, so what's the point? Helsinki and Denver, however, are still masked. The door opens, and there stands Raquel. Hmm, she seemed taller on TV. Well, she's still tall, but not as tall as I thought. "Hands up," Berlin snaps me out of my thoughts. She raises her hands, one of them holding a notebook. Berlin looks over his shoulder at me. "Go ahead." I lower my gun and step forward to pat down the Inspector. I spread her arms apart and gesture to her legs. "Spread 'em." Then I begin to frisk her.

"Where's the Professor?"

"He asked me to excuse him. To maintain his anonymity, he can't be here. Keep in mind his face isn't on the news, unlike ours."

I stand back up and look at her. "She doesn't have a gun. Nice piercing." I wink at her and go back to Berlin and the others. I notice his shoulders relax a bit once I'm back behind him. Hmm, I thought he would only pretend to worry about me now.

"Rio, it's your turn. Do the honors." My brother goes to the Inspector and checks her for any microphones or cameras using a device. "Excuse us, but we have to be thorough." When he reaches her lower abdomen, the device suddenly beeps. I exchange a grin with Rio.

"Raquel. They say cops aren't dumb, but they can seem that way. Did you really think you'd sneak in a microphone?"

"Did you think my people wouldn't make sure I was safe?" came her response.

"Venice, frisk her again, but this time, do it with more enthusiasm, we know you have." Rio laughs beside me, and I just roll my eyes. Raquel rolls her eyes as I approach her. I try to hurry up; neither she nor I really want to be here. I open her belt and pants, retrieve the microphone, and inspect it before turning to Berlin, who grins at me. I hand it to him and stand back beside Rio. "Get rid of it." He gives the microphone to Rio and tells Raquel to follow him.

... In that moment, Rio froze. Rayo was what mom called him as a child, when he spent the summer afternoons running. She used to say he'd be an Olympic champion, but he swapped sports for game consoles and plans outside for the possibility of prison time...

"Go ahead!" I take Arturos arm and together Rio and I take him downstairs. "As an appetizer, we have Arturo Roman, the Royal Mint's director."
"Do you intend to bring out the hostages one by one?"
"Mhm. That's right. So you don't lose track of them."

...One by one, that's how all the hostages would walk by the inspector...

"Would you say you've been treated well?"
"I can't complain." Raquel nods.

... The way children line up to talk to Santa at a mall...

"Have you been able to sleep?"
"I've been able to rest."

As the interrogation drags on, Raquel appears increasingly frustrated, while Berlin grows more amused. Next, I bring Monica downstairs. "Don't tell her about the gunshot, okay? It'll end badly for all of us." Her gaze shifts to Berlin, and she nods. Raquel questions her for a while, until I notice her bandage starting to bleed through, creating a small spot on her trouser leg. I discreetly signal to Berlin, and we escort her back upstairs. I position myself half behind her to conceal the leg. She starts getting impatient because it's taking so long for Helsinki to bring the hostages from the lower floors, the ones supposed to be building the fake tunnel.